Re: [ujeni] news

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2000
      Uh, sorry....that should read...."works the land..."

      And sorry for leaving the trailer on it before also...
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
        "When a practice infringes on a democratic
        principles, althought it may be within the
        constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
        public test to gauge whether the majority are
        comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
        said.

        This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
        often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority

        Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
        necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
        popularity of it.

        There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
        tolerate to protect the status quo.

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Rand Wise
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
          right on, rasta paul! d

          At 05:01 PM 09/12/2000 GMT, you wrote:

          > "When a practice infringes on a democratic
          > principles, althought it may be within the
          > constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
          > public test to gauge whether the majority are
          > comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
          > said.
          >
          >This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
          >often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority
          >

          >Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
          >necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
          >popularity of it.
          >
          >There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
          >tolerate to protect the status quo.

          >http://profiles.msn.com

          Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
          2784 Mt. Olive Drive
          Decatur, GA 30033

          Email: wiserd@...
          Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
          (404) 327-5765

          See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

          "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
          - Desmond Tutu
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
            Before being skewered by his enemy, Patrick Henry said, "I may not agree
            with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

          • wikernan@cs.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
              Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
              looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
              Come one...
            • Rand Wise
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
                as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
                as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
                  I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
                    To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
                    politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
                    advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
                    of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
                    machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
                    to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
                    country in the world.

                    I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
                    bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
                    military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
                    didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

                    Eric