Re: [ujeni] news

  • Daniel Dudley
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2000
      25 million to resettle 21,000 "Peasants" (what a rude thing to call people)?
      Sounds a little silly to me. Aren't peasants people who farm the land for
      the king? Would this be Muluzi?

      http://profiles.msn.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1 3:20 AM
        Actually Papa-Dud...
        Peasant is a legitimate word to describe someone who works the lad. It is
        derived from the French word "paisan", which roughly translates as "one from
        the country <pais>". The similar word is in Italian (Paisano), and Spanish
        (paisan).

        The word may actually have become pejorative, but at one time it was quite
        legitimate, much like other words that are "bad" now, but were perfectly
        okay back inthe olden days.....right, Don and Cathy???

        Actually, take a gander at "Midsummer Night's Dream", by ole Bil, and you
        will see another "bad" word common throughout the play...

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1 7:53 AM
          Uh, sorry....that should read...."works the land..."

          And sorry for leaving the trailer on it before also...
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12 10:01 AM
            "When a practice infringes on a democratic
            principles, althought it may be within the
            constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
            public test to gauge whether the majority are
            comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
            said.

            This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
            often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority

            Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
            necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
            popularity of it.

            There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
            tolerate to protect the status quo.

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Rand Wise
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12 10:38 AM
              right on, rasta paul! d

              At 05:01 PM 09/12/2000 GMT, you wrote:

              > "When a practice infringes on a democratic
              > principles, althought it may be within the
              > constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
              > public test to gauge whether the majority are
              > comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
              > said.
              >
              >This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
              >often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority
              >

              >Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
              >necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
              >popularity of it.
              >
              >There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
              >tolerate to protect the status quo.

              >http://profiles.msn.com

              Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
              2784 Mt. Olive Drive
              Decatur, GA 30033

              Email: wiserd@...
              Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
              (404) 327-5765

              See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

              "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
              - Desmond Tutu
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12 10:52 AM
                Before being skewered by his enemy, Patrick Henry said, "I may not agree
                with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

              • wikernan@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 12 3:29 PM
                  Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
                  looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
                  Come one...
                • Rand Wise
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 12 6:45 PM
                    as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
                    as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13 5:24 AM
                      I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13 8:30 AM
                        To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
                        politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
                        advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
                        of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
                        machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
                        to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
                        country in the world.

                        I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
                        bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
                        military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
                        didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

                        Eric