Re: [ujeni] Ben & Jerry's

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>
      To: ujeni@egroups.com <ujeni@egroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 11:33 AM
      Subject: [ujeni] Ben & Jerry's

      >Does anyone know know the answers to these questions?????
      >

      >When did they sell out? (recently...within the last 4 months I'd guess)
      >To Whom? (?)
      >How much? (a lot, of course)

      You didn't ask why. I don't think it was really money, but who am I to
      know. I just take it on faith. What I remember hearing on the news was that
      they never in their wildest dreams expected it to become so big. I think
      they were maybe tired of that, they grew beyond what they wanted to be
      doing. The newscast did say that there were contingencies on the sale and
      that had something to do with keeping the company operation just as it was.
      I didn't forgive them, though, for stopping making raspberry sherbert with
      those wonderful deep dark chocolate pieces in it...and that was before the
      sale.

    • Becky Mueller
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        I believe it was Jerry who was on the Boston radio station in June, and he
        said it was the shareholders who wanted to sell. They sold out to a big food
        conglomeration, an international company. Jerry assured us that he would
        continue to uphold the company's values, still give to the community, etc. I
        forget the details, although I remember they were having a contest to see
        who could name the flavor that the pigs would not eat. . . . . . (mint
        chocolate chip). I have a mind for trivia, not facts!

        Becky