Re: [ujeni] news

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2000
      Interesting how they arrest the prostitutes for loitering, but do nothing
      about the johns...can't have one without the other...

      maybe it has something to do with the status of the johns...get the photog
      there to take pictures of license plates again...
    • Daniel Dudley
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 31, 2000
        25 million to resettle 21,000 "Peasants" (what a rude thing to call people)?
        Sounds a little silly to me. Aren't peasants people who farm the land for
        the king? Would this be Muluzi?

        http://profiles.msn.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1, 2000
          Actually Papa-Dud...
          Peasant is a legitimate word to describe someone who works the lad. It is
          derived from the French word "paisan", which roughly translates as "one from
          the country <pais>". The similar word is in Italian (Paisano), and Spanish
          (paisan).

          The word may actually have become pejorative, but at one time it was quite
          legitimate, much like other words that are "bad" now, but were perfectly
          okay back inthe olden days.....right, Don and Cathy???

          Actually, take a gander at "Midsummer Night's Dream", by ole Bil, and you
          will see another "bad" word common throughout the play...

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 1, 2000
            Uh, sorry....that should read...."works the land..."

            And sorry for leaving the trailer on it before also...
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
              "When a practice infringes on a democratic
              principles, althought it may be within the
              constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
              public test to gauge whether the majority are
              comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
              said.

              This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
              often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority

              Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
              necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
              popularity of it.

              There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
              tolerate to protect the status quo.

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • Rand Wise
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
                right on, rasta paul! d

                At 05:01 PM 09/12/2000 GMT, you wrote:

                > "When a practice infringes on a democratic
                > principles, althought it may be within the
                > constitutional provisions, it has to be put to
                > public test to gauge whether the majority are
                > comfortable with it", Ombudsman Chibwana
                > said.
                >
                >This is all Felix's fault. NDI was supposed to teach them that democracy
                >often looks out for the minority, not necessarily the majority
                >

                >Just because the majority is not comfortable with it, then that is not
                >necessarily the fault of the minority, nor is it a use to guage the
                >popularity of it.
                >
                >There are quite a few things that the majority are not pleased with but
                >tolerate to protect the status quo.

                >http://profiles.msn.com

                Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
                2784 Mt. Olive Drive
                Decatur, GA 30033

                Email: wiserd@...
                Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin
                (404) 327-5765

                See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

                "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
                - Desmond Tutu
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
                  Before being skewered by his enemy, Patrick Henry said, "I may not agree
                  with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

                • wikernan@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
                    Does any one else find it a little troubling that the Malawian government is
                    looking toward the United States as the epitomy of a free society? Epitomy?
                    Come one...
                  • Rand Wise
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 12, 2000
                      as B.F. Skinner noted, quoting Rousseau, "There is no subjugation so perfect
                      as that which keeps the appearance of freedom"

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
                        I liked the appearance of Geena Davis much better...

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 13, 2000
                          To address Bill's concern: I think the sum total of the media,
                          politicians, and attitudes expressed by a lot of citizens do a good job of
                          advertising that the US is the epitome of a free society. We're the land
                          of the free, after all. And we have a very successful propaganda
                          machine. We do not do so well at advertising that we don't always live up
                          to our grand claims. In that respect, we're probably like every other
                          country in the world.

                          I can think of other times when the US has oversold itself. Remember the
                          bombing of Belgrade? The world heard so much about our surgically precise
                          military planning and hardware. How could we blame anyone then if they
                          didn't believe that the bombing of the Chinese embassy was an accident?

                          Eric