Re: [ujeni] chatting

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2000
      At 08:01 PM 07/30/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      >Yo, wiserds & peanut: how does one chat?????

      1. Go to http://www.egroups.com

      2. Sign in with your email address and password (your Egroups password,
      which may or may not be the same as your email password). If you don't know
      your password, leave this field blank and click on sign-in. Egroups will
      ask you if you want email sent to you regarding your password. They email
      you an authorization number that will allow you to choose a new password for
      yourself, so you'll have to go back to your email to get the authorization
      number, then return to egroups to pick your password.

      3. When you have successfully signed in with your password, you will see a
      screen that lists the groups you subscribe to (probably only ujeni). Click
      on ujeni to go to our group. (This page also allows you to start your own
      group--it's great if you want to start a group for your family, your office,
      a club, whatever).

      4. Down the left side of the page you will see a list of activities open to
      the group. You can click to see a list of the ujeni members, create or vote
      in polls, post messages to the group, chat, add links, add items to the
      group calendar, and several other things. The chat program is some sort of
      Java Applet. It gives you a list of the ujeni members in the chatroom and
      you can carry on private chat with individuals in the room. Sometimes the
      program crashes or locks up, and you have to hit your reload button. So far
      I haven't been successful in getting anyone to chat. If you go at a random
      time, chances are that no one will be in there. I suggest we announce a
      time in advance and plug the hell out of it.

      5. The chat program itself has a large area of the screen where messages
      show up from those in the chatroom. Below this area is a white box where
      you type your message and hit 'send'. You have control of the color and
      other aspects of your message with the menus below the text box. On the
      right you see a list of who is in the room.