Re: [ujeni] Malawi news

  • Daniel Dudley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2000
      I thought that the second article was very beautifully written. Why wasn't
      this guy at any of the Bottle Stores that I consumed Carlsberg at?
      Dan

    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 12, 2000

        Dear Christine,

        Thank you for the article, "Africa is not a Basket Case."

        People hear so much of the "negative" (poverty, war, famine, HIV/AIDS,
        deforestation, mineral depletion, civil disorder, etc. etc. etc.) that it
        is almost impossible to get them to actually hear something positive about
        Africa.

        Actually, I don't think people believe me (even people who know me well and
        trust me) when I describe the very positive 6 year's experience I had in
        Southern Africa. Sure there were problems, challenges, and not a few
        heartbreaking incidents. But there were also many delightful times, "a-ha
        moments," and heartwarming relationships to remember.

        It was a great place to experience 6 years of the sorrows and joys of life.
        What more can I say? Focusing on either the negative and tragic, or the
        natural beauty and human tenacity will fail to give a balanced picture. I
        just wonder why the "west" clings to its "negative" image so tightly, not
        only of Africa, but also of India and other places filled with large
        numbers of struggling people who aren't exactly white.

        Thanks for keeping the news on/in the ujeni. It is about the only material
        about Africa I get these days.

        Also thanks to Elizabeth Bell for the HIV/AIDS updates.

        Vyrle

      • Rand Wise
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 13, 2000
          Remember that time we thought about writing a WID proposal to buying
          branding irons? It didn't occur to us at the time, but that last Malawi
          News article tells us we might have been more successful if we had written
          the proposal to buy a "blender", vis-a-vis the line below:

          "Gulule at first refused to withdraw his statement, denying that he blended
          the ruling party deputies thieves."