Re: [ujeni] Diatribes...

  • Rand Wise
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2000
      >Gas prices: They are high, so lower them!...how about reminding the gulf
      >states that we had people DIE to help them keep pumping oil...so they can
      >continue to gouge us...Get Nigeria to give us oil for AID money...Take
      >public transport where available; If you look at the stock markets, you will
      >not see that the oil companies are losing money, so the gov't can intervene
      >and tell them to lower prices, rather than suspend the $0.18 federal gas
      >tax...that defeats the purpose of using the tax money for government
      >expenses...so raise the tax, and make the oil companies lower their
      >prices...

      We chose to make our economy so dependent on gas, so we should bear the
      responsibility for our decision rather than coercing producers into
      supplying more gas. What peeves me is that our local news runs a story
      about gas prices. Then, mere minutes later, we get the air quality update
      as part of the weather report. No connection is made between the two topics.

      >Prayer/Moment of silence in school: Who cares....at least the kids are
      >communicating...make them write the prayer...can they read? write?
      >rithmatic? let them do anything that will make them learn... in theory you
      >can't make people 'not pray', so have mass arrests of people who pray/don't
      >pray...then the jail time will make felons of us all...

      The issue is not about prayer in public schools. The Constitution does not
      bar (nor could it, really) prayer in schools. The issue is about whether
      public schools and school employees (as agents of the state) support a
      religion or religious point of view at the expense of others. When public
      school officials engage in religious speech or endorse it in school
      activities they create an atmosphere in which minorities are less than free
      to pursue their religious beliefs. One of the most treasured principles of
      American government (and one, I might add, that is indispensable to
      democracy and a heterogeneous society) is the protection of minorities from
      the tyranny of the majority. Unfortunately, too many Americans don't get
      it. Arguments about school prayer almost always come from those who hold a
      majority view, i. e., those who are most free to practice their religion.
      What they want is not freedom of religion (which they already enjoy in great
      abundance), but the freedom to be insensitive to other perspectives.
      Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      Email: wiserd@...
      Website: http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/
      (404) 327-5765

      See Benjamin at http://sites.netscape.net/randwise/benjamin

      "A man travels around the world in search of what he needs and returns home
      to find it." -George Moore (1852-1933)