uganda mission cancelled

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 11:09 AM
      > well, i just got the official word that the uganda mission is a no go.
      > sorry to get everyone's panties in a bunch.
      >
      > personally i think the deciding factor was the threat of unleashing
      > deblaw, chobbs, abushi etc on yet another defenseless society.
      >
      > i have a rather detailed e-mail from epicentre and msf if anyone is
      > interested in more information on the current situation.
    • Kristen E. Cheney
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 12:50 PM
        Liz,

        I would be very interested in your more detailed information, as I do
        research in Uganda and was in the process of planning a summer trip there to
        get my dissertation work going. News like this, then, is really devastating to
        me on several fronts. I was in Buhoma, one of the camps that was attacked, just
        before I left Malawi. Bwindi was considered a much safer place to see the
        gorillas than Mgahinga at the time, because Laurent Kabila's guerillas were
        amassing on the boarder inside the national park there.

        Thanks,
        Kristen