uganda mission cancelled

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
      well, i just got the official word that the uganda mission is a no go.
      sorry to get everyone's panties in a bunch.

      personally i think the deciding factor was the threat of unleashing deblaw,
      chobbs, abushi etc on yet another defenseless society.

      i have a rather detailed e-mail from epicentre and msf if anyone is
      interested in more information on the current situation.
    • Bell, Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
        > well, i just got the official word that the uganda mission is a no go.
        > sorry to get everyone's panties in a bunch.
        >
        > personally i think the deciding factor was the threat of unleashing
        > deblaw, chobbs, abushi etc on yet another defenseless society.
        >
        > i have a rather detailed e-mail from epicentre and msf if anyone is
        > interested in more information on the current situation.
      • Kristen E. Cheney
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
          Liz,

          I would be very interested in your more detailed information, as I do
          research in Uganda and was in the process of planning a summer trip there to
          get my dissertation work going. News like this, then, is really devastating to
          me on several fronts. I was in Buhoma, one of the camps that was attacked, just
          before I left Malawi. Bwindi was considered a much safer place to see the
          gorillas than Mgahinga at the time, because Laurent Kabila's guerillas were
          amassing on the boarder inside the national park there.

          Thanks,
          Kristen