Re: PCVs - Uganda

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
      thanks christine. actually had checked with the state dept, what i'm trying
      to do is figure out if the travel ban will be lifted soon enough to do me
      any good. the fact that the pcvs have not been consolidated is a good sign.
      just trying to get a sense of what DC is thinking, using the pcvs as a gage.
      the timeline is tight.

      please keep in touch if you hear anything new over the course of the next
      day or two...

      thanks again,

      liz

    • Paul Dever
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
        Reply to: RE>[ujeni] PCVs - Uganda
        I know some tourists were killed. Don't gop to Le foret inpenetrable (The
        impenatrable forest) to see mountain gorillas. They were killed there.

        Stay off the streets at night. Go to your work and back to the hotel. No
        bar hopping...

        Good luck
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
          O, Paul, you sensitive soul...

          From: "Paul Dever" <pdever@...>

          Reply to: RE>[ujeni] PCVs - Uganda
          I know some tourists were killed. Don't gop to Le foret inpenetrable (The
          impenatrable forest) to see mountain gorillas. They were killed there.

          Stay off the streets at night. Go to your work and back to the hotel. No
          bar hopping...

          Good luck

          Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
          http://www.onelist.com
          Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site
        • Alan de Brauw
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
            Hey, is Hobbler subscribed to this list? I say the CIA sends Hobbler in
            with his machete to take care of the Hutus du foret. I'll nominate myself,
            Yarvels, BFKATFB, Dug Bush, and Booker to go in as back-up. We'll wait for
            him at the bottle store...

            Any of you in Washington want to look into this? We're all ready to take
            action immediately if necessary, if its for the grope... oops, I mean
            good... of the country.

            Alan

            From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

            >O, Paul, you sensitive soul...

            >From: "Paul Dever" <pdever@...>
            >
            > Reply to: RE>[ujeni] PCVs - Uganda
            >I know some tourists were killed. Don't gop to Le foret inpenetrable (The
            >impenatrable forest) to see mountain gorillas. They were killed there.
            >
            >Stay off the streets at night. Go to your work and back to the hotel. No
            >bar hopping...
            >
            >Good luck

            >Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
            >http://www.onelist.com
            >Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site

            >Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
            >http://www.onelist.com
            >Onelist: A free email community service
          • Bell, Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
              well i, personally, appreciate the "don't die" message.

              if anyone with a machete asks, i'm canadian. raised in malawi. muli
              bwanji.

              seriously though, i am not a fool. i am fully aware of what happened in
              bwindi a couple of days ago. it is horrifying. however, i believe the
              problems to be very very localized and will be very very careful. i will
              also be with people who do this for a living in some very bad places and
              have gotten pretty good at staying alive in unstable situations, primarily
              by knowing when to leave.

              thanks paul. will let you know how it goes.

            • DSJarvi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
                I will follow Alan anywhere because he will make a great human shield when the
                bullets/pangas start flying.
              • Alan de Brauw
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 1999
                  Yarvels-

                  I'm too skinny to shild you these days! We'll take USAID people hostage
                  and chain them up in front of our bottle store, so we can drink without
                  interruption. Then, Hobbler MacBain can slice through the shield when he's
                  completed the mission.

                  Sobel, now there's a fat bastard these days...

                • DSJarvi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 1999
                    Sounds like a plan with me. By the way where is Sobel?