PCVs - Uganda

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
      OK, all you folks still attached to PC, what is the situation in Uganda
      regarding volunteers? i received a request last night to go with EpiCentre
      to a health assessment in the camps about 200km north of where the
      "incident" occured, and am trying to figure out what the odds are of getting
      state department clearance at this point. they had wanted me to leave
      saturday, arriving next monday (they had put in the request for a cdc person
      on monday, i suspect before they heard the news about bwindi). have the
      PCVs been pulled from just that district? pulled in to kampala from all
      over the country? or have they been evacuated out of uganda entirely? this
      might give us a clue as to what the state department is thinking and whether
      or not we'll get the security clearance. need to know whether i should
      start packing my bags....

      thanks,
      liz bell
      (404) 639-1820
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
        Here's the scoop that I've found out. There weren't any PCVs in the immediate vicinity of Bwindi. The closest were a couple hours away, but 3 PCVs have been asked to change sites and move further away. There is no consolidation at this point, although there are meetings going on as I write this so that may change. Personally, I'm adament that it is just too dangerous for PC to be in Uganda at all, what with random bombings of buses and bottle stores, what what, but there's too much politics involved.

        State may have issued a travel warning. Check out their website for updates, www.state.gov.

        But if I were you, I'd look at other options. Good luck.

        Christine Chumbler
        Africa Bureau Information Center
        1331 Pennsylvania Ave., Suite 1425
        Washington, DC 20004
        Phone: 202-661-5827
        E-Mail:cchumble@...

        From: "Bell, Elizabeth" <eib6@...>

[...]

        Start a new hobby. Meet a new friend.
        http://www.onelist.com
        Onelist: The leading provider of free email list services
      • Bell, Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
          thanks christine. actually had checked with the state dept, what i'm trying
          to do is figure out if the travel ban will be lifted soon enough to do me
          any good. the fact that the pcvs have not been consolidated is a good sign.
          just trying to get a sense of what DC is thinking, using the pcvs as a gage.
          the timeline is tight.

          please keep in touch if you hear anything new over the course of the next
          day or two...

          thanks again,

          liz

        • Paul Dever
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
            Reply to: RE>[ujeni] PCVs - Uganda
            I know some tourists were killed. Don't gop to Le foret inpenetrable (The
            impenatrable forest) to see mountain gorillas. They were killed there.

            Stay off the streets at night. Go to your work and back to the hotel. No
            bar hopping...

            Good luck
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
              O, Paul, you sensitive soul...

              From: "Paul Dever" <pdever@...>

              Reply to: RE>[ujeni] PCVs - Uganda
              I know some tourists were killed. Don't gop to Le foret inpenetrable (The
              impenatrable forest) to see mountain gorillas. They were killed there.

              Stay off the streets at night. Go to your work and back to the hotel. No
              bar hopping...

              Good luck

              Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
              http://www.onelist.com
              Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site
            • Alan de Brauw
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
                Hey, is Hobbler subscribed to this list? I say the CIA sends Hobbler in
                with his machete to take care of the Hutus du foret. I'll nominate myself,
                Yarvels, BFKATFB, Dug Bush, and Booker to go in as back-up. We'll wait for
                him at the bottle store...

                Any of you in Washington want to look into this? We're all ready to take
                action immediately if necessary, if its for the grope... oops, I mean
                good... of the country.

                Alan

                From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

                >O, Paul, you sensitive soul...

                >From: "Paul Dever" <pdever@...>
                >
                > Reply to: RE>[ujeni] PCVs - Uganda
                >I know some tourists were killed. Don't gop to Le foret inpenetrable (The
                >impenatrable forest) to see mountain gorillas. They were killed there.
                >
                >Stay off the streets at night. Go to your work and back to the hotel. No
                >bar hopping...
                >
                >Good luck

                >Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
                >http://www.onelist.com
                >Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site

                >Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
                >http://www.onelist.com
                >Onelist: A free email community service
              • Bell, Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
                  well i, personally, appreciate the "don't die" message.

                  if anyone with a machete asks, i'm canadian. raised in malawi. muli
                  bwanji.

                  seriously though, i am not a fool. i am fully aware of what happened in
                  bwindi a couple of days ago. it is horrifying. however, i believe the
                  problems to be very very localized and will be very very careful. i will
                  also be with people who do this for a living in some very bad places and
                  have gotten pretty good at staying alive in unstable situations, primarily
                  by knowing when to leave.

                  thanks paul. will let you know how it goes.

                • DSJarvi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 1999
                    I will follow Alan anywhere because he will make a great human shield when the
                    bullets/pangas start flying.
                  • Alan de Brauw
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 4, 1999
                      Yarvels-

                      I'm too skinny to shild you these days! We'll take USAID people hostage
                      and chain them up in front of our bottle store, so we can drink without
                      interruption. Then, Hobbler MacBain can slice through the shield when he's
                      completed the mission.

                      Sobel, now there's a fat bastard these days...

                    • DSJarvi@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 4, 1999
                        Sounds like a plan with me. By the way where is Sobel?