Re: [ujeni] Debt relife to fight graft and poverty?????

  • Mark Holland
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2000
      [Next up, commentary from our political correspondent, Emily Latella. Emily?]

      Now now ... what's all this I hear about "Debt Relief"? What a crazy idea! I
      never heard of such silliness! Now I ask you, why on earth should the Africans
      forgive our debt to them? My Lands, folks, first world powers have for five
      hundred years extracted billions upon billions of dollars from Africa, with
      nary a penny nor a schoolroom going back from Philip Morris. Why, my son in
      law tells me that tea pluckers on foreign-owned plantations throughout Africa
      earn less than two dollars a day, while white high-school-educated redneck
      "tobacco buyers" live in plush houses in capital cities! And throughout this
      century we used Africans as cannon fodder in proxy wars between the East and
      West, overthrew governements, installed and propped up petty and rapacious
      tyrants, created kings and counselors, ravaged landscapes to extract minerals,
      polluted entire ecosystems. And, I hear tell, some fraction of that money they
      borrowed went right back to buying arms from us, so that they could continue to
      fight wars we were instrumental in creating! Forgive our debt to them? Why,
      I ask you? What possible motivation could they have to forgive our debt? They
      should sooner ...

      Eh? What's that you say? Forgive their debt to us???

      Oh! NEVER MIND!

      Paul DEVER wrote:

      > Hmmm...Debt relief....so more can be plundered?????
      >
      > If there were real concern for alleviating poverty, I think all the MPs
      > would donate their 2,000 litre petrol allotment to charities...and maybe not
      > be so persnikitty about per diems, and just do their jobs...
      >
      > Why are there extra efforts necessary to fight corruption? Does this mean if
      > ther is no debt relief, there will be no effort to alleviate poverty and
      > eliminate graft...
      >
      > One good method of alleviating graft is found in some countries which put a
      > severe penalty for crossing a certain threshhold...In one country, if you
      > steal/graft/em,bezzle/whatever more than 1.000.000 FCFA (Approx $1400 now),
      > you have purchased a bullet placed firmly in the cranium....
      >
      > Drastic yes, but somewhat effective...
      >
      > Allright, bring on the critics.....heh, heh...

    • Scott Geibel
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2000
        Three cheers for Emily.  For a similar viewpoint from an African perspective-- yet equally balanced with criticism of African leadership-- I recommend the small book "The Burden of Memory, The Muse of Forgiveness," by Wole Soyinka.