P.S., I forgot to ask a favor

  • Rand & Deb Wise
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 8:36 PM
      Sorry, I forgot earlier that I need to ask a favor. It is not unusual for a
      premature newborn to need a blood transfusion in the first few months of
      life. Since I fit this demographic, I thought I'd ask if any of my friends
      could give me some blood.

      I think this is best for those of you who live close to Atlanta, so if this
      doesn't apply to you, then you're off the hook.

      I need A negative blood, although I can accept O negative as a last resort.

      The usual blood screening rules will apply, so that excludes most of you
      Peace Corps volunteers. Also, there is a virus called CMV. It's not well
      known, but about half of adults carry it. It doesn't hurt adults, but it
      could hurt me big time. So if you can give blood, they'll check it for CMV
      also.

      Also, I'd prefer not to receive blood from a blood relative. The
      explanation is too long, but my neonatalogist says it would be better to
      receive from a friend or a non-blood relative.

      Before you can give blood for me, Mom and Pop have to get a form from the
      neonatologist and put your name on it, and then tell you where to go to
      donate blood.

      If you can't help me in this way, don't worry. The blood bank is perfectly
      safe, but I thought this might give one of you a special opportunity to bond
      with me.

      Thanks for listening,

      Benjamin