Life in the bird....

  • Peter Bertling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 1999
      Glad to hear I'm not the only one who seems to be missing Malawi. I've
      been getting sentimental about it of late, though I'm not quite sure why.
      Life in the bird (Turkey, that is) goes well. The weather has ranged quite
      a bit since I've been here - from around 100 + with 100% humidity for the
      first few weeks I was here (without the benefit of air conditioning) to
      around the 40's now. Like Malawi, the buildings are not built for cold
      weather, so while they have heating, it really doesn't work well. The kids
      here are a lot like students in Malawi - all about memorization and not
      much on thinking. It gets frustrating at times. Plus there's an added
      herd mentality that goes on which makes teaching them even more difficult.
      Overall, the teaching aspect of it isn't great, but the rest of the package
      is enjoyable. Heck, I even have a refrigerator on this job.
      I've gotten to see quite a few things since I've been here and have been
      bitten by the Turkish carpet bug. I've got three already and figure I'll
      buy four or five more before the end of my two years. More "stuff," as
      Bill put it. Becky Mueller lives about 50 km down the road, but I have yet
      to see her. We've exchanged a few e-mails and phone calls, but just have
      never met up. She's doing well, though, the last I heard.
      That's about it from here. I have a friend here who was in PC Nepal in the
      late 80's, and they're only now getting their e-mail list together, so
      thanks for keeping us ahead of the curve, guys. Talk to you all soon.
      Peace.

      Pete