news of note

  • Kenneth E. Shockley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000
      I received word today that I've been offered a Fulbright Grant to
      Australia. I should be there between Feb and Oct 2001. If you're in the
      neighborhood stop by. If you're not, start saving and stop by anyway.
      WOOO-HOOO!!!

      _________________________
      Kenneth Shockley
      Department of Philosophy
      Campus Box 1073
      Washington University
      St. Louis, MO 63130

      "Simple reciprocity is less controversial than it should be- whether as a
      standard of fairness or even as an appropriate operationalization of the
      Golden Rule.... An eye for an eye is hardly fair when one relies far
      more heavily on eyesight in his work than the other. A beer for a beer is
      hardly fair when the person who bought the first round is far richer than
      the one obliged by that rule to buy the next"
      - Robert Goodin, _Protecting the Vulnerable_
    • Kristen Cheney
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000
        Congratulations on the Fulbright, Ken!

        I feel like I'm in the throes of Charlie Brown syndrome: while you got a
        Fulbright, I got a rock! My Fulbright application was mailed via FedEx from
        our campus' international programs office, but FedEx screwed up and failed
        to deliver it when the airbill got separated from the package. Unbeknownst
        to us 9 applicants, our Fulbright applications sat in a torn box in a
        lost-n-found warehouse for 3 months. At the beginning of February, they
        decided to have a look at it. With 3 minutes of research, they found the
        contact address on the letterhead and returned it to the office, burnt and
        mangled. By then, it was too late to get in on the Fulbright competition.
        So no Fulbright for us! It's been an outrage because our department in
        particular has a very high success rate and, statistically, at least 3 of
        the 9 were likely to get funded.

        Now we're looking at getting a FedEx grant through litigation instead. Of
        course, everyone feels really bad, but no one at the university or FedEx
        wants to come out and say they're responsible.

        So let this be a lesson to all of you who entrust others with your
        academic careers. Don't trust FedEx to get it there on time, and don't
        trust university personnel to actually follow up to make sure it gets there
        on time.

        Sorry to vent. I really am happy for you, but the mention of the Fulbright
        reopened a wound. If I don't get funded for fieldwork, I may just have to
        pack it up and travel Australia. Which part will you be in?

        Kristen

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2000
          Congratulations Ken! Great news, mate.

          >From: "Kenneth E. Shockley" <shockley@...>
          >To: matt sveum <msveum@...>, scott Mikkelson
          ><mikkelsos001@...>, Sarah Worth <SWorth70@...>,
          >chbrooks@..., mcmahon@..., mfmeli@..., Karen
          >Shockley <kshockley@...>, "Eric A. Brown"
          ><eabrown@...>, "J. Robert Thompson"
          ><jrthomps@...>, dlcolcla@..., Willem Bakker II
          ><wfbakker@...>
          >CC: ujeni@onelist.com
          >Subject: [ujeni] news of note
          >Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:07:53 -0600 (CST)
          >
          >I received word today that I've been offered a Fulbright Grant to
          >Australia. I should be there between Feb and Oct 2001. If you're in the
          >neighborhood stop by. If you're not, start saving and stop by anyway.
          >WOOO-HOOO!!!
          >
          >_________________________
          >Kenneth Shockley
          >Department of Philosophy
          >Campus Box 1073
          >Washington University
          >St. Louis, MO 63130
          >
          >"Simple reciprocity is less controversial than it should be- whether as a
          >standard of fairness or even as an appropriate operationalization of the
          >Golden Rule.... An eye for an eye is hardly fair when one relies far
          >more heavily on eyesight in his work than the other. A beer for a beer is
          >hardly fair when the person who bought the first round is far richer than
          >the one obliged by that rule to buy the next"
          > - Robert Goodin, _Protecting the Vulnerable_

        • Karl Klemmick
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2000
            Hey Ken!

            I'm in Darwin right now with two weeks off. Where are you? Probably
            nowhere near the top end, but let me know. I'm not all that far away.

            Cheers,

            Karl K.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 2000
              Hey Ken,

              Scratch that, I just reread the date. If all goes well, I should be
              somewhere else by then, but tell me where you are heading anyway. I'm
              curious.

              Take care,

              Karl K.