FW: 39 Years Ago Today- Peace Corps

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      happy birthday everyone.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Gerzoff, Bob
      Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 2:59 PM
      Subject: FW: 39 Years Ago Today- Peace Corps

      On March 1, 1961, President Kennedy signed the executive order that>
      established the Peace Corps. In announcing this action, the president
      stated the following:

      "The initial reactions to the Peace Corps proposal are convincing proof
      that we have, in this country, an immense reservoir of such men and
      women--anxious to sacrifice their energies and time and toil to the cause
      of world peace and human progress.

      "We will only send abroad Americans who are wanted by the host
      country--who have a real job to do--and who are qualified to do that job.
      Programs will be developed with care, and after full negotiation, in order
      to make sure that the Peace Corps is wanted and will contribute to the
      welfare of other people. Our Peace Corps is not designed as an instrument
      of diplomacy or propaganda or ideological conflict. It is designed to
      permit our people to exercise more fully their responsibilities in the
      great common cause of world development.

      "Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. ... Men and women will be
      expected to work and live alongside the nationals in the country in which
      they are stationed--doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the
      same language.

      "But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For
      every young American who participates in the Peace Corps--who works in a
      foreign land--will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task
      of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of
      freedom and a condition of peace."

      Since that day, the tens of thousands of Americans who have served as
      Volunteers, and the thousands of people -- both Americans and those from
      our host countries -- who have served as staff members, have fulfilled
      this vision and these ideals.
    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000

        Dear Elizabeth,

        Thanks for the 39th Peace Corps Anniversary message. For me the 35th was
        the most memorable. I didn't have much consciousness of the 1st or the 2nd
        and the 3rd wasn't mentioned (everyone was too busy trying to get to the
        4th, 5th, et.al.).

        Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

        Vyrle