California

  • Ramona Roth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      Hi everyone!
      This coming August I will be honeymooning in California... flying from
      Chicago to San Diego, driving up the coast to San Fran, then doing the
      Napa/Sonoma thing. Any suggestions for sights to see, lodging, and
      definitely food and drink would be very much appreciated. We want to stay
      away from the masses, so anything quiet and a little out of the way would
      be great (ok, I'll take a few rowdy ideas).

      Prizees to all winning suggestions!

      Thanks big time,
      Ramona

      Ramona Roth
      Office of Clinical Research & Training
      710 N. Lake Shore Drive, 5th Floor
      Chicago, IL 60611
      312-503-1508/ 312-503-7959 (fax)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
        If you ask me, you won't be heading near far enough north, but I 'spose I'll have to let that slide.

        There are plenty of sights to see. Hearst Castle is fun and interesting, albeit a bit touristy. And there are plenty of good wineries outside of Napa. Try around Paso Robles and in the Santa Cruz mountains. Of course, I highly recommend Santa Cruz whether you check out the wineries or not. I could get more specific, but I doubt everyone wants to read that, so just let me know.

        Congratulations!

        From: Ramona Roth <r-roth@...>

        Hi everyone!
        This coming August I will be honeymooning in California... flying from
        Chicago to San Diego, driving up the coast to San Fran, then doing the
        Napa/Sonoma thing. Any suggestions for sights to see, lodging, and
        definitely food and drink would be very much appreciated. We want to stay
        away from the masses, so anything quiet and a little out of the way would
        be great (ok, I'll take a few rowdy ideas).

        Prizees to all winning suggestions!

        Thanks big time,
        Ramona

        Ramona Roth
        Office of Clinical Research & Training
        710 N. Lake Shore Drive, 5th Floor
        Chicago, IL 60611
        312-503-1508/ 312-503-7959 (fax)

        GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
        Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!

      • Dan Talbot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
          I was in San Diego last year and we took a trip down to Mexico to a place
          called Puerto Nuevo. It was the first place to really remind me of Malawi.
          It is a little village/market place where merchants sell their wares and
          quite a few restaurants that serve all you can eat Lobster Burritos and Dos
          Equis.
          You go down the same route as if you were going to Tijuana but go right past
          Tiujana and you'll hit Puerto Nuevo. Trivia: It is also the place where they
          have the 1/3 size replica of the Titanic for the movie a little off the
          coast. It is about an hour away from San Diego and the ride is BEUTIFUL,
          you'll see a couple of famous waves too!.

          Lajolla is worth seeing too, I'd strongly suggest renting a convertable!!!
          We did and loved every minute of the drive! The coast is so beutiful.

          Have a great trip!! And congratulations!

          >From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>
          >To: ujeni@onelist.com
          >Subject: Re: [ujeni] California
          >Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:17:52 -0500
          >
          >If you ask me, you won't be heading near far enough north, but I 'spose
          >I'll have to let that slide.
          >
          >There are plenty of sights to see. Hearst Castle is fun and interesting,
          >albeit a bit touristy. And there are plenty of good wineries outside of
          >Napa. Try around Paso Robles and in the Santa Cruz mountains. Of course,
          >I highly recommend Santa Cruz whether you check out the wineries or not. I
          >could get more specific, but I doubt everyone wants to read that, so just
          >let me know.
          >
          >Congratulations!

          >From: Ramona Roth <r-roth@...>
          >
          >Hi everyone!
          >This coming August I will be honeymooning in California... flying from
          >Chicago to San Diego, driving up the coast to San Fran, then doing the
          >Napa/Sonoma thing. Any suggestions for sights to see, lodging, and
          >definitely food and drink would be very much appreciated. We want to stay
          >away from the masses, so anything quiet and a little out of the way would
          >be great (ok, I'll take a few rowdy ideas).
          >
          >Prizees to all winning suggestions!
          >
          >Thanks big time,
          >Ramona
          >
          >Ramona Roth
          >Office of Clinical Research & Training
          >710 N. Lake Shore Drive, 5th Floor
          >Chicago, IL 60611
          >312-503-1508/ 312-503-7959 (fax)

          >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
          >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!

        • Raymond R. Wise
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2000
            Hey Moaner! Deb here. Congrats!!! I, for one, give being married two
            thumbs up!

            As far as California goes, there's a restaurant in San Diego Old Town called
            El Coyote. They serve 64 oz. margaritas! Can't beat that! (I was too hung
            over from the trip to Tijuana to actually be brave enough to try one. I had
            madzi akumwa- basi.) Speaking of Tijuana, I really liked it! Scott Coonz
            was the tour guide, and we found a cantina right across the border. I think
            margaritas were about 50 cents each. We, being the bold RPCV's that we are,
            got tired of the "touristy" area, and decided to go a couple of blocks
            deeper into the "real" Mexico. After walking around for about 10 minutes,
            we discovered we were in the middle of the red light district! Oops! We
            went back to tourist town. I can't recall how many times we said, "Choka,
            iwe!" Street kids (and adults) are a problem.

            As far as the California coast/ wine country goes, Rand said you should try
            to go to Rosenblum because they have good wine. If I recall correctly,
            Berringer had the most beautiful setup.

            Just north of SF, there is a little park called Muir Woods. It was our
            first introduction to the redwoods, and it was really really neat! We went
            just before closing time, so most of the tourists were gone. I definitely
            recommend hiking and camping in the redwood forest. We also give two thumbs
            up to Monterey(very very nice- a must to have seafood along the coast)and
            San Luis Obispo.

            OK- enough of that for now. Thought I'd take a few and update you on what's
            shakin' around Atlanta. As you know, we are the "Super City" this weekend.
            We're not big sports freaks, so the Superbowl will not affect us in any way
            (except that our Sunday Night Trivia Game has been cancelled).

            The weather here has been bizzare. Rand and I only worked two out of 5 days
            last week due to Ice Storm 2000. We lost power for one day, and phone
            service for 4. I didn't mind loosing the power, but I missed my phone.
            Another huge ice storm is on the way- should be hitting us hard within the
            hour. We'll probably only work three days next week. Schools here close at
            the first flake of snow.

            The baby business is going well. We'll be at 18 weeks tomorrow- almost half
            way! Next Friday we'll have our ultrasound and hope to see the sex of the
            iwe. I've gained five pounds in 18 weeks, which isn't very much considering
            that I usually gain five pounds just thinking about eating two Dunkin'
            Donughts. Rand thinks this whole baby thing is "cool." The bad part:
            Ladies, if you thought you had incredible gas in Malawi, just WAIT until you
            get "in a family way".

            Kristi, in Atlanta, a Master's degree will get you an extra $4000 (equal to
            8,000 extra buns) a year. I'm having a fairly good school year. I only
            have 13 students. The one who kept attacking me was removed from my room.
            Being preggo, I can wear whatever I want and nobody will hassle me about the
            dress code (daily outfit usually consists of stretchy pants and a t-shirt).

            Well, there it is. More than you care to know about what's going on around
            here. I anticipate loosing power and phone within the next two hours.
            Take care. Deb, Rand, and Counterclock