Re: Whistling in the Dark

  • Kenneth E. Shockley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
      When you get your masters, they make you explain to everyone within
      shouting distance why you get the second roll; and charge you $.50 more.
      When you get your doctorate they make you make the rolls under the direct
      supervision of the soup-nazi, and you can have as many as you want, but
      you have to pay twice as much for each of them and apologize for taking
      them; and they waive the drug test.

      _________________________
      Kenneth Shockley
      Department of Philosophy
      Campus Box 1073
      Washington University
      St. Louis, MO 63130

      "Simple reciprocity is less controversial than it should be- whether as a
      standard of fairness or even as an appropriate operationalization of the
      Golden Rule.... An eye for an eye is hardly fair when one relies far
      more heavily on eyesight in his work than the other. A beer for a beer is
      hardly fair when the person who bought the first round is far richer than
      the one obliged by that rule to buy the next"
      - Robert Goodin, _Protecting the Vulnerable_

      On 28 Jan 2000, kristi henderson wrote:

      > From: kristi henderson <red.fred@...>
      >
      > Here's a little story to put some things in perspective. In the school
      > cafeteria, teachers have to pay 50 cents more for lunch than the students do.
      > And for this 50 cents we are given 2 rolls instead of just one. Wow, what a
      > bargain. I've never understood this, but I've never dared asked because we
      > really and truly do have the original Soup Nazis working in our cafeteria.
      > Anyway, yesterday when we were getting our trays, a student in line behind the
      > art teacher said in a most irritating whine, "Golly, teachers get two rolls?"
      > And the reply from one of the cafeteria servers, "That's right. See what
      > happens when you finish school and go to college and get a degree? You get to
      > have two rolls." I nearly busted out laughing. The art teacher and I had
      > tears in our eyes we were laughing so hard at the table. I couldn't help but
      > ask, "What do you think we would get if we had our Masters?" But that just
      > illustrates the level of thinking here in my dear Deweyville.
      >
      > The hot topic at school lately has been the drug testing policy that has been
      > put into effect. In order to participate in any extracurricular activities -
      > academic or athletic, a student must agree to participate in the random drug
      > testing program. I personally don't have a problem with it. It is a
      > voluntary program for the teachers, and I said I would volunteer to
      > participate as a way to show support for the kids who really don't have a
      > choice about it. But the majority of the teachers are adamantly against it.
      > The students say it's not fair if the teachers don't have to do it. One
      > teacher argued that as a kid you don't get to do all the things that adults
      > do, that you just have to wait until you are an adult before you get to do
      > certain things, that it is a privledge of being an adult. I had trouble
      > following her reasoning on that one. One mother spoke up in favor of the drug
      > testing policy by saying, "Well, I think it is a good idea because I'm not
      > naive enough to think that my kid is not going to try anything, and so maybe
      > this will keep him from doing anything to begin with." So. The parents are
      > turning over their job of raising their children to the public school system.
      > We are to be the disciplinarian, but no don't be too hard on them. Teach them
      > right from wrong, but somehow eliminate the consequences from the process.
      > This is where the disillusionment comes in for me. And then that's when I
      > head over to the gym for a little basketball.
      >
      > Great things have been coming across on the ujeni, and I enjoy hearing what
      > everyone is doing, and I love the news about Malawi - disappointing as it may
      > be sometimes.
      >
      > I hope everyone is well and happy. Khalani makola,
      > Kristi

    • Paul Dever
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2000
        Reply to: RE>[ujeni] Whistling in the Dark
        Is there any whay to send the old ujenis? We were offline for about a
        week, and all were lost to me, (including the one from Kristi about
        Whistle, our parakeet...)

        ------------------------------------
      • Raymond R. Wise
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2000
          Paul (and to the Ujeni community in general):

          If you have access to the web, you have access to all sorts of info, including

          -all Ujeni messages archived by date
          -a list of the current membership
          -URLs about Malawi and Peace Corps that have been contributed by Ujeni members
          -lots of other resources, like group calendars that we can post events on, etc.
          -access to the options for your Ujeni membership (including how to
          temporarily stop your emails or change between the individual message
          version and the daily digested version).

          To get to all this and more, simply visit www.onelist.com and follow the
          links to the Ujeni community. You will need to know your password (the one
          you got when you registered for Ujeni the first time). If you have lost it
          or forgotten it, there is a mechanism for Ujeni to email it to you, just
          look for the space on the home page. If you have any problems, let me know.

          Rand

          At 08:06 AM 01/29/2000 +0000, you wrote:
          >From: "Paul Dever" <pdever@...>
          >
          > Reply to: RE>[ujeni] Whistling in the Dark
          >Is there any whay to send the old ujenis? We were offline for about a
          >week, and all were lost to me, (including the one from Kristi about
          >Whistle, our parakeet...)

          >ChickShops.com- online boutique shopping.

        • Paul S. DEVER
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2000
            cool thanks...will do.