      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      From: jppatten98@...
      Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 04:18:07 -0700
      Subject: [ujeni] Fw: Better, Bolder Peace Corps - Take our Survey

      PCV survey. Also, I think I've moderated my view of Peace Corps over the years on what it can/cannot effect or even should. Remember when Vyrle showed us a photo of a before and after shot of a village and it was the same one? It's a good lesson. I think the experience was more for me than the village. In some contexts this "development" work can actually exaccerbate conflict or run counter to building nascent government line capacity.

      What do you think? I think we all automatically say say what a great program it is due to our experiences which few have, but one time when I asked a Mexican friend of mine if she ever did Peace Corps she said bitterly she was too poor to do it, among other things. She really dislike the concept and thought it was more for well-to-do white kids with means.

      I've never heard much of a valid critique of the program other than the usual funding back and forth. The survey should help them move forward and illustrates they may be fighting for continued relevance currently.

      What do you think?

      JP