5449PCV survey and questions about Afghanistan

  • vyrle@onlinemac.com
    Oct 8, 2009

      Dear John,

      Thanks for posting your comments to the ujeni. Facebook is just not
      working for me. It has been wonderful for finding many people with whom I
      have not had contact for years. Yet as a working communication system
      (for me)it is not.

      Anyway.

      I have not done the survey yet and I perceive my having a rather minority
      viewpoint. I tend to think of the "Peace Corps Experience," both on the
      part of the volunteer "visitor" and the host county "hosts," as being the
      most important investment/return-on-investment of our time and money.
      Whether there is a return depends much upon the participants, not the
      governments.

      I have RPCV contacts with people who are still cynical about the time they
      "wasted" 40 years ago. And there are those who still think so positively
      about the experience they cannot be objective.

      For me, going back to the basic premise of the original Peace Corps act of
      congress would be the best place to start. "The purpose and mission of
      the Peace Corps is to promote world peace and friendship." Place the
      emphasis on friendship and practice peace.

      For the most-part all of the things learned and accomplished by one
      generation will be relearned, rebuilt, remodeled, repaired, or removed by
      following generations. What this means is that each generation must
      affirmatively engage in becoming better people and making the world a
      better place. If not we regress.

      More later, if I don't too involved in the continual re-invention of my
      own life.

      I have a question about Afghanistan for those of you who have been there.
      John, Eric, Paul, come to mind. Anyone else?

      Are we doing the right thing? The right way? What are your
      recommendations for an ordinary citizen/voter? Should I oppose or support
      military escalation, or should I just stay out of the way? Are there
      appropriate and/or effective alternatives? Can we practice a policy of
      cold-war "containment" like we did with the Soviet Union, and tried to do
      with other totalitarian communist states? What questions should I be
      asking?

      Enough for now,

      Vyrle
      vyrle@...