5415Re: [ujeni] future of the Peace Corps?

  • vyrle@onlinemac.com
    Dec 10, 2008

      Dear Christine,

      Thanks for passing this article along.

      Greetings of the season,

      Vyrle

      Now for a few thoughts.

      Not only is this article thought-provoking, calling for some serious
      mentation, for me it is also disturbing (disconcerting? I'm not sure of
      the correct word.) and representative of a certain "shallowness" of
      thinking about the Peace Corps and Peace Corps Volunteers. Unless I
      missed it, the author fails to mention the most important defining phrase
      in the Peace Corps Legislation of 1961, the purpose and mission of the
      Peace Corps is to "promote world peace and friendship."

      Everything that follows in the Peace Corps Act, all of the bureaucratic
      policies and organization hence, all of the people from Sargeant Shriver
      to the most recent Peace Corps Recruit, everything the Peace Corps has
      done has been an effort to fulfill that mission. In doing so we have, for
      the most part, lost sight of the mission of peace and friendship. Indeed
      we rarely talk about it, as policy makers, as staff, as Volunteers.

      World Peace and Friendship are like religion and politics in family
      conversation. "Don't bring it up, and if you do, you do not get to talk
      for two weeks." "And by-the-way, don't bring it up again."

      So, what do we do?

      I will rejoin this conversation is due course. For now, I need to get to
      work. Guess I have my priorities in order, isn't it?

      Vyrle

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic