4663Re: [ujeni] Call Bush Today to Cancel African Debt

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Jun 10, 2005
      Hi Dan...

      It's so good to "hear" your voice. I don't know what to think either. It's
      not an easy, clear-cut issue, is it?

      I'm also glad to hear that Lilongwe is experiencing some good development.
      We were saddened, as we wrote, about what we saw in Blantyre, and Limbe was
      a disaster. Downtown Blantyre had some completed bigger buildings that were
      under construction by the time we left in '96. But, the main PTC was closed
      and empty. The 2 Whitetex fabric stores were closed and empty. The one
      fast food chicken place that opened when we were there was closed and empty.
      However, we did find a tiny little pizza place. (The Hosteria was closed
      but said it was moving). As we said there were no more buses...only
      minivans in a real state of disrepair. There is a new shopping center with
      a bright shiny supermarket with high, high prices...a package of biscuits
      there was almost 3 times the price as the same biscuits at another store.
      The clientele was probably 90% azungu. Across the street was a glitzy
      office complex...owned by Muluzi. The Central Bookstore is now at the
      shopping center...it's tiny, tiny, tiny...probably 1/10th the size of the
      store downtown. The same guy in the wheelchair owns and operates it. He
      said that it's now the only bookstore in Malawi???? Can't beleve there is
      none in Lilongwe. Malawian friends in Blantyre were feeling discouraged.
      Maybe Blantyre has outlived its day as the trade/economic center of the
      country and that Lilongwe will take on the role. It may be a natural
      phenomenon that historically has happened to cities around the world. Our
      view of the country on our trip back was narrow.

      Did you receive a copy of a CARE document about worldwide education of
      girls? Malawi ranked in overall rates of dropout by 5th grade 69th out of
      71 countries and was used as an example of one of the failing
      countries...with a 40% increase of dropouts in the last 10 years. The
      statistics may be based on the fact that 11 years ago every kid rushed to
      school because of the excitement of free education and this is a natural
      dropoff. However, the goals for new teachers and new classrooms couldn't be
      met. Do you think education could get a boost from debt relief? On a
      Library of Congress wall "The foundation of every state is the education of
      its children."

      I hate to feel discouraged about a country I love so much. I must say that
      politically it may be on the upswing, I feel very hopeful about that.

      It seems to me that some years ago select countries received debt
      forgiveness. Am I imagining this? If it happened, does anyone know the
      results in those countries? Might give some insight.

      Retirement gives one too much time to pontificate. Gotta go clean the
      house.

      Cathy