3829HRH

    Jul 1, 2003
      Just to stir up a little controversy, I got this from a PCHQ source.
      It's apparently country desk guidance for when the PC director goes on
      country visits. Sounds pretty darn demanding, and pretty unflexible to
      me...

      CDU=country desk unit
      RD=regional director
      don't know who Roberto or Lloyd are

      >Debrief of Director Gaddi Vasquez's trip

      > The most important point that was that the CDU should be in
      direct
      >contact with Roberto Coquis about the Director's preferences versus

      going

      >through the RD. The direct communication will (hopefully)
      alleviate
      >unnecessary back and forth.

      >v Caribbean desk holds the best example of a briefing book for
      the
      >Director.

      >o The photos of staff, etc, MUST be in color.

      >o The book should include biographies of staff, volunteers and

      anyone that

      >the Director will meet.

      >o Post and the CDU will work closely to develop the briefing
      book,
      which

      >will change with each visit and as the itinerary changes.

      >o Many parts of the briefing book may be completed well in
      advance
      of a

      >visit. Posts may consider beginning to prepare some of these
      documents

      >during any time staff has a lighter work load.

      >v There will be a lot of back and forth regarding the agenda.
      The
      Director

      >likes to keep a tight schedule. Meetings or events must NOT be

      scheduled

      >until approval from Lloyd has been granted. However, the Director

      would

      >like to see an example of the proposed schedule. The CDU and post

      can

      >design a "preliminary" agenda (with the help of Roberto Coquis),
      then
      show

      >to the Director's Office and get feedback. Only after the agenda
      is
      >approved by Lloyd or Gaddi personally may any meetings or events be

      >arranged.

      >v The Director wants as much 'appropriate' press as possible at

      every event

      >. Details of anticipated press attendance must be included in the

      briefing

      >material (who, when, where, etc).

      >v The Director will expect to have meetings with high-profile

      people

      >(president, prime minister, etc).

      >v The Director will need to know precise details of how every

      aspect

      of his

      >visit will take place (including travel times from the airport to

      hotel

      and

      >every meeting or event scheduled, exact details of how all
      facilities
      for

      >each event will be set up, a description of every person who will
      be
      on

      >hand for each event or meeting etc). Once the agenda and briefing

      materials

      >are approved, there should be no deviation from this plan without

      prior

      >approval from Lloyd or Gaddi.

      >v Protocols:

      >o Meeting Protocol - Director prefers roundtables that seat 6

      people.

      >These 6 people should be Director Vasquez, the Regional Director
      (if
      also

      >on that trip), Country Director, 2 Volunteers, and 1 Host Country

      >counterpart. Also, it is important to have the actual layout of
      the
      >meeting room (ie, 4 roundtables in an L-shape room, water on the
      table
      or

      >not, etc..)

      >o Travel Protocol - There will be two cars for the delegation at

      all

      times.

      >Director Vasquez will ride in a car with the Press Secretary (Ellen

      Field)

      >and the Country Director. If the Regional Director is also part of

      the

      >trip, s/he will only ride to/from the airport with Gaddi. During
      the
      rest

      >of the visit the RD will ride with the PTO (or designated staff).

      >o Hotel Protocol - Director Vasquez must have his hotel room on
      separate

      >floor from any of the staff accompanying him or other Peace Corps

      staff

      or

      >Volunteers. There will be no exceptions to this requirement. If

      >necessary, the CDU (or Post) can call the hotel to ensure this

      happens.

      >Also, someone should complete as much of the check-in with the
      hotel
      as

      >possible, so that Director Vasques does not have to wait-he should
      be
      able

      >to go immediately to his room upon arrival.

      >o Food Protocol - Director Vasquez is on a strict diet and will
      not
      eat

      >anything spicy, fried, fatty, etc. He prefers buffet-style meals
      as
      that

      >offers him the chance to stick to his diet without standing out.

      Post

      >should ensure that a non-spicy, healthily prepared fish or chicken

      meal

      is

      >available to the Director for all lunch and dinners.

      >o Again there should be no surprises for the Director. If there
      is
      any

      >deviation from any aspect of the plan put forth in the briefing

      materials,

      >it should be approved by Lloyd or the Director personally prior to

      >rescheduling.

      >v The CD and PTO should always accompany the delegation. It is

      very

      >important to have a "time-keeper" to ensure that the agenda is
      tight.
      The

      >PTO should ideally hold this role. It is important that the
      meetings
      stay

      >within the allotted times and the schedule is followed precisely as

      written

      >(and approved). No one from the delegation will indicate when time
      has

      >passed but will expect to arrive at and leave from meetings at the

      time

      >indicated on the approved agenda.

      >v If a Host Country Agency would like to host a luncheon, the

      Associate

      >General Counsel, Carl Sosebee must approve it prior to it being

      scheduled.

      >v It is important to find out what gifts the Director can
      receive
      and what

      >he can give. Post should suggest appropriate gifts from Gaddi to
      those
      with

      >whom he will be meeting. Please consult GC if you are unfamiliar
      with
      the

      >ethics regulating gift giving and receiving.

      >v If possible, it is recommended that the Country Director go

      through a dry

      >run of the actual agenda, how long it takes to get from each of the

      >meetings to the next planned on the agenda. This will help ensure
      that

      >times are correct.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic