3630RE: [ujeni] Whatever works, rice to the president

  • Vyrle Owens
    Feb 1, 2003

      Dear Kristen and Ujeni folks,

      This form message in the 1950's was apparently quite effective with
      President Eisenhower.

      It is certainly a good idea.

      But I have been in touch with one of the peace activists locally who has
      reported legal hassles for the senders of these packages when some of
      the rice manifests itself as a white powder. Apparently the post
      office, police and federal agents treat the stuff as possible major
      contaminants, test for anthrax, etc, and generally have or cause
      trouble.

      So a letter might be just as effective and don't forget to send a letter
      to your senators and representatives as well.

      This particular form of protest has as its biblical foundation the
      following: "If your enemies are hungry, feed them." (Romans 12:20)

      I suggested a possible update on the concept below:

      "'Our president has a “faith based” office and has expressed support of
      several “faith based” ideas. At least this appears to be case. Perhaps
      a “love your enemies … do good to them that hate you” campaign would be
      more appropriate in this day and age, than the 1950’s “feed thine enemy”
      activity.'"

      Reference: Matthew 5:43-45

      "'43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy
      neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

      44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do
      good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use
      you, and persecute you;

      45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for
      he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain
      on the just and on the unjust.' (Jesus)

      So sending a letter to the president or senator or representative with a
      message with the admonition to love and do good to the people of Iraq
      and maybe a symbolic gift of good to forward to them would be better."

      Good luck with whatever form of peace activism you may choose,

      Vyrle