3475Re: [ujeni] life expectancy

    Nov 4, 2002
      Life expectancy in Botswana was pushing 70 years before AIDS. Also, PC
      is planning to go back into that country as part of Bush's doubling the
      size of the agency hoohaw.

      >>> weber@... 11/2/02 11:30 PM >>>
      Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think
      in
      terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life
      expectancy
      ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more
      economically
      sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of
      AIDS?)
      Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear
      Peace
      Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the
      country
      was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
      Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he
      taught
      in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But
      there
      Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So
      maybe
      if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available
      with
      some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I
      suspect
      that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live
      forever
      while the countries lose their teachers, their really good
      hard-working
      civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the
      only
      people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
      southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the
      accountant
      you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy

      From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>