      From: "Luz Huntington" <luzhunt@...>
      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
      Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:08:41 +0000

      Cathy and Scott make some good points. For me, after reading these emails,
      the only thing I can think about is how I wish people in African nations,
      the United States and all over would use condoms more. Its such a cheap way
      to prevent AIDS and its aftermath.

      Luz

      >From: "Weber" <weber@...>
      >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
      >Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:23 -0800
      >
      >Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
      >terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
      >ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
      >sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of
      AIDS?)
      >Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
      >Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
      >was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
      >Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he
      >taught
      >in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
      >Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So
      >maybe
      >if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
      >some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I
      suspect
      >that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
      >while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
      >civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the
      only
      >people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
      >southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the
      accountant
      >you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy
      >

      >From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>
      >
      > >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US
      >and
      > >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
      > >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
      > >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...
      >
      > >From: holland@...
      >
      > >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
      >lowest
      > >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part
      >of
      > >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
      > >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
      > >
      > >-M

      Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.