      From: "Weber" <weber@...>
      To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
      Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:23 -0800

      Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
      terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
      ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
      sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of AIDS?)
      Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
      Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
      was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
      Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he taught
      in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
      Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So maybe
      if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
      some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I suspect
      that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
      while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
      civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the only
      people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
      southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the accountant
      you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy

      From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>

      >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US and
      >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
      >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
      >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...

      >From: holland@...

      >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
      lowest
      >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part of
      >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
      >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
      >
      >-M

      Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!