      From: <holland@...>
      To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 9:34 PM
      Subject: RE: [ujeni] Re: Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?

      > Oh yeah, I forgot about that: a water purifier is a great idea. I had one
      and used it constantly when I travelled. Bring some extra cartridges for
      it. Mine eventually started leaking badly and I had to pump twice as much
      for the same amount of water, but I still used it.

      > I lived in Lilongwe and had internet access whenever I had access to
      phone. There is/was a fascinating woman named Thandi Mbvundula who
      lives/lived in Lilongwe and runs/ran an internet service there called
      Epsilon and Omega (eomw.net). Their offices were at City Centre. Much
      preferable to MalawiNet (malawinet.com), which is/was owned and (poorly) run
      by a major political figure (now in the opposition I hear). While I was
      there MalawiNet had an officially sanctioned monopoly on internet access and
      forced E&O to use a crufty dialup linkage through South Africa. A friend of
      mine still uses E&O and I understand the laws have changed and they are now
      able to offer full service. (Did I hear a something about yet a third
      company opening recently somwhere in Blantyre?)

      > Dedza is a beautiful place. The view from the top of the mountain is
      spectacular, especially in rainy season when you can watch storms rolling
      across the plain. Cheesecake and Mzuzu coffee. Enough said.