3395Re: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?

  • Bill Eigel
    Sep 13, 2002
      Hi Tighe:

      My daughter, Bethany, is currently a Biology teacher
      in Kasinje. I have read all the responses to your
      request and, based on conversations I've had with
      Bethany, I think you've received some great
      suggestions. The only thing I would add is that she
      took two collapsable water storage containers (most
      camping supply stores carry) that she has found very
      useful for storing boiled water in. The advice about
      a tent and sleeping bag is very good; she uses those
      in her travels constantly. As far as clothes are
      concerned, depends on whether you end up in the
      northern area or more southern. She took more clothes
      for the northern area where it does get cold but ended
      up in a very hot climate. She had no problem trading
      some of her colder weather clothes with another PC
      teacher; she also finds that buying clothes in the
      markets works fine.

      Have a great experience and say hello to Bethany
      should you meet up with her.

      Bill

      --- Tighe1 <junk9191@...> wrote:

      > I have been accepted to teach math in Malawi and I'm
      > leaving at the
      > end of this month! I'm super excited, especially
      > reading all of this
      > group's messages. I'm a little confused about what
      > to take for
      > clothing, especially considering the conservative
      > nature of the
      > country. I was wondering if you guys could give me
      > some pointers for
      > what is acceptable or not acceptable for a teacher.
      > Basically, I've
      > been told that I need to wear pants and a button
      > down shirt if I'm
      > around town, short sleeves are acceptable. In the
      > classroom I need to
      > wear a long sleeved button down, and maybe a tie?
      > Any pointers you
      > could give would be great.
      >
      > Also, do you have any general suggestions for items
      > you should have
      > taken but didn't know about? Any suggestions are
      > helpful, as I
      > obviously don't really know what to expect :)
      > Thanks!
      >
      > -Tighe Herren

      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
      http://news.yahoo.com