3394Re: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?

    Sep 13, 2002
      This reminded me of another standard piece of advice I give. Take
      *lots* of pictures when you get there of all the things that strike you
      as a little goofy, or just different from the states. It doesn't take
      long for you to get used to these little things, and once you get back
      you'll really wish you had a picture of, say, the Covo billboards "Even
      mothers and daughters agree!"

      I second (third, fourth?) the advice about not bringing many clothes.
      And in addition to the little toys for kids, put a couple bottles of
      bubbles in those tupperwares you'll be taking. My housemate Deb brought
      a bottle and the bubbles were what broke the ice with the neighbor kids
      who otherwise ran screaming from us.

      >>> petitbeurre10@... 9/13/02 2:01 PM >>>

      Tighe-
      Some of my favorite clothes are ones I bought in the markets in Malawi!
      Yes, I still wear them (time to update?). As Mark suggested, I did
      love my shortwave radio. Also, nice lotions and smelly-stuff (perhaps a
      gendered item) was always nice to update the daily sponge bath.
      Batteries were expensive and crummy in Malawi so bringing a stash for
      walkmans and radios is a good idea. Don't underestimate the importance
      of a good camera- even if you're not into photography now, the beauty of
      Malawi will no doubt inspire you. Sunscreen, film, chapstick, GOOD
      BOOKS!, favorite music, gifts for homestays and new friends, pictures of
      your family and home, dried spices. I did have to explain the
      difference between my dried basil and marajuana one time at a military
      check-point, but after explaining how to make tomatoe sauce in my broken
      Tumbuka, I was fine. If you have electricity it is great to have a
      laptop or wordprocessor. I lived in the boonies with no electricity but
      kept an old word-processor at a friend's house in Mzuzu (the closest big
      city) and loved being able to get some work done when I was in town. Oh
      the jealousy! I feel it too! Get ready for the trip of your life-
      Tana

      Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
      we are powerful beyond measure... It is our light, not our darkness that
      frightens us. We ask ourselves: Who am I to be brillant, gorgeous,
      talented, or fabulous? Well, actually, who are you not to be?"
      -Nelson Mandela

      >From: "Tighe1"
      >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
      >Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:11:35 -0000
      >

      >I have been accepted to teach math in Malawi and I'm leaving at the
      >end of this month! I'm super excited, especially reading all of this
      >group's messages. I'm a little confused about what to take for
      >clothing, especially considering the conservative nature of the
      >country. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers for
      >what is acceptable or not acceptable for a teacher. Basically, I've
      >been told that I need to wear pants and a button down shirt if I'm
      >around town, short sleeves are acceptable. In the classroom I need to

      >wear a long sleeved button down, and maybe a tie? Any pointers you
      >could give would be great.
      >
      >Also, do you have any general suggestions for items you should have
      >taken but didn't know about? Any suggestions are helpful, as I
      >obviously don't really know what to expect :) Thanks!
      >
      >-Tighe Herren

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT