2953RE: [ujeni] USA Freedom Corps: curse or blessing?

    Feb 2 2:03 AM
      Freedom is a politically-charged buzzword that will ensure funding.

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: holland@...
      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ujeni] USA Freedom Corps: curse or blessing?
      Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:42:33 -0500

      My humble opinions. I realize I sound rather conspiracy-theorist here.

      If Bush really wanted to promote and expand the Peace Corps (double it, he
      says), if he really wanted it to become some significant part of his overall
      foreign policy, he would not have appointed Gaddi Vasquez as director.

      If the goals of the organization were not going to change with this
      consolidation, it is unlikely that the name would be changed in the way, and
      it is unlikely that he would be proposing such a politically charged word as
      "Freedom". Anyone remember Reagan's use of "freedom fighters"? Anyone
      remember the name "Operation Enduring Freedom"? Are these names associated
      in American minds with peaceful and nation-building activities? The name
      Peace Corps represents exactly the organization I wished to serve. The name
      "Freedom Corps" does not. After 40 years, why change the name if he weren't
      trying to change the focus?

      Mark