2875PC Online

  • Stacia & Kristof Nordin
    Jan 3, 2002
      Thought you all might be interested in this....Stacia

      Read this month's Peace Corps News at:

      http://PeaceCorpsOnline.org

      This month's features include:

      VASQUEZ NOMINATION FOR PEACE CORPS DIRECTOR
      For the first time in Peace Corps history, there was heated discussion and votes cast in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee against the nominee for Peace Corps Director.  Read the story about the senators who voted against Mr. Vasquez and what they said.  Then find out why the Orange County Weekly printed the story that Latino leader Zeke Hern├índez says Vasquez critics are racists.  Examine the facts on whether or not Mr. Vasquez misled the Senate in his testimony before the Foreign Relations Committee.  And finally find out when the nomination will be coming before the full Senate for a vote.

      A NEW MANDATE FOR THE PEACE CORPS
      Read our feature article on a group of Returned Volunteers who have been meeting with members of Congress to work for changes in the legislation that governs the Peace Corps.  Their purpose is to seek a new mandate that redefines the Peace Corps to meet the challenges of the new century.  Read what their ideas are, what has been done so far, leave your comments, and get involved with this RPCV group that seeks to take the best of the old and combine it with all we've learned in the past 40 years.

      SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE
      This month we have a feature story that responds to Sargent Shriver's call for service at the Peace Vigil last September.  We take a look at 12 different RPCV groups and how they are continuing the call to service.  Read about the group that is helping develop Science Teaching Aids for Eritrea, the RPCV group that has established a Biological Reserve in Costa Rica, the group that has built 120 schools around the world, the group that is helping women in Nepal market their jewelry in the United States, and many others.  See what RPCV groups are doing and get involved.

      REGULAR FEATURES
      Peace Corps Online also presents it's regular news sections with what is going on with: Volunteers in the field, Peace Corps Overseas Programs, Peace Corps Washington, Congressional Relations, Peace Corps Recruitment, Special Reports, Service and Advocacy, the Third Goal, RPCVs in the News, and Upcoming RPCV Reunions.

      INFORMATION ABOUT PEACE CORPS ONLINE
      1.  If you or your group have news or an event that should go in our next Monthly Newsletter, post it directly to the PCOL web site or send an email with your information to: PeaceCorpsNews@...

      2.  Please forward this email to your RPCV listservs, message boards and to other RPCVs.

      3.  Add your name to our Directory of over 10,000 RPCVs, by going to the following url and then clicking on "Instant Registration":

      http://PeaceCorpsOnline.org/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi

      4.  To unsubscribe from this Monthly Newsletter, send an email reply with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

      5.  Peace Corps Online is an independent organization dedicated to the free exchange of ideas among Returned Peace Corps Volunteers and is not affiliated with the US Peace Corps.