2549Re: [ujeni] Today's events

  • Tana Beverwyk
    Sep 12, 2001

      Oh so many emotions.  So much pain.  I didn't mean to be reactionary but I don't think we should stand for or encourage (in the form of understanding) the stereotyping of any person with an Arabic name as somehow associated with this tragedy.  Think of how absurd that is!  So many Arabic countries, so many individuals, so many beliefs, so many personalities. I know that people will automatically do it because some people are simple and angry and looking for an outlet, but lets not understand it or justify it or be compassionate for it in any way.  Anger about the death of so many people is hard to deal with but injuring people who have nothing to do with the cause of your anger is absurd.  Your example of  Mauritania, Paul, is appropriate.  So many examples closer to home (see Pearl Harbor and American Japanese, for one).  I feel so much...so much.  How is everyone else?  -Tana Beverwyk-Abouda