1127Re: [ujeni] news of note

  • Kristen Cheney
    Mar 15 6:24 PM
      Congratulations on the Fulbright, Ken!

      I feel like I'm in the throes of Charlie Brown syndrome: while you got a
      Fulbright, I got a rock! My Fulbright application was mailed via FedEx from
      our campus' international programs office, but FedEx screwed up and failed
      to deliver it when the airbill got separated from the package. Unbeknownst
      to us 9 applicants, our Fulbright applications sat in a torn box in a
      lost-n-found warehouse for 3 months. At the beginning of February, they
      decided to have a look at it. With 3 minutes of research, they found the
      contact address on the letterhead and returned it to the office, burnt and
      mangled. By then, it was too late to get in on the Fulbright competition.
      So no Fulbright for us! It's been an outrage because our department in
      particular has a very high success rate and, statistically, at least 3 of
      the 9 were likely to get funded.

      Now we're looking at getting a FedEx grant through litigation instead. Of
      course, everyone feels really bad, but no one at the university or FedEx
      wants to come out and say they're responsible.

      So let this be a lesson to all of you who entrust others with your
      academic careers. Don't trust FedEx to get it there on time, and don't
      trust university personnel to actually follow up to make sure it gets there
      on time.

      Sorry to vent. I really am happy for you, but the mention of the Fulbright
      reopened a wound. If I don't get funded for fieldwork, I may just have to
      pack it up and travel Australia. Which part will you be in?

      Kristen