health care criminals

  • Diane J. Peterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2011
      I persuaded my husband to watch the news report on Friday night's "Almanac" on TPT TV.  The Minnesota tax commissioner explained how a state employee defrauded our state government out of nearly $2 million.  The commissioner cited an example of how she pulled off one of her frauds by using a false claim to the MinnesotaCare program.  Here is my husband's response to that TV news segment  . . .  I especially like his wisecrack about the convicted state employee as an underachieving embezzler compared to an "insurance" CEO!

      For health care liberation,

      Diane J. Peterson
      White Bear Lake, Minnesota
      birch7@...

      Stealing Health Care Dollars
      by Dave Crawford, September 11, 2011

      The September 9 installment of Almanac, on Twin Cities Public Television, reported on Pamela Dellis, a Minnesota government employee who embezzled 1.9 million dollars from state programs, including health care for low income citizens, over a five year period for her personal use.  This is an appalling crime, of course, diverting health care dollars from paying for medical necessities, and using them to pay instead for a more affluent lifestyle.

      But then consider health care insurance providers.  Consider especially the CEOs of these organizations.  What is their lifetime "take" from managing a health care insurance operation?  The Daily Kos (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/05/26/735411/-Health-insurance-industry-CEO-salary-survey,-stay-calm-for-this) reports some CEOs taking home over $3,000,000 in a single year.**  These are dollars paid by clients to insure their health care needs will be met.

      So what's the difference between diverting three million health care dollars a year into making yourself richer if you're a CEO, and diverting 400,000 tax dollars a year into making yourself richer if you're a state employee?  If you're a state employee it's illegal.  If you're a CEO, it's part of your job benefits.

      Right now, assuming you are among the fortunate folks who can qualify to receive health care insurance from a private provider, and assuming you can afford the premiums, you should be asking yourself, How many of my hard-earned health care dollars are paying for executive housing, and golf junkets, and private aircraft for CEOs?  How many of your health care dollars do you think CEOs deserve?

      The fear of government mishandling, if health care was funded by taxes and administered like Medicare, is clearly misplaced.  The people who actually do stand, right now, between the ill or injured, and the medical care those who are ill or injured need, are not embezzling or inefficient government employees.  They are the officers and directors who profit from privatized medical insurance.

      What they do is not a crime.  That needs to change.

      Health care dollars should be for health care only.  Not even one penny for luxury.

      Dave Crawford

      Dave Crawford lives in White Bear Lake, Minnesota.  He donates unpaid time as an environmental educator, eats mostly organically produced foods, and has several other quirks, such as seeing anything that stands in the way of reducing human suffering as a crime, whether the paid politicians who make the laws agree or not.

      ** Or check http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/11/16/health-care-ceos-bring-home-the-bacon/, where The Wall Street Journal reports that the median compensation for health care CEOs nationwide was $10 million in 2010.  Makes Pamela Dellis look like an under-achiever.
    • Bridget Fensholt
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2011
        Well said, Dave. Just because something is legal doesn't make it just. Many of our laws create injustice and suffering. This is a good example. Bridget

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2011
            Dr. Newhall,

            Thanks for spreading Dave's essay further afield.  Such cooperation to get these kind of comments, exposing the ludicrousness of the "insurance" industry, and placing them in front of the voting public, is so worthwhile.

            With appreciation,

            Diane J. Peterson
            White Bear Lake, Minnesota
            birch7@...