mtg,Mon,Jan7,7PM

  • Joel Albers
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
      Dear Health Care Activists,

      The next UHCAN-MN organizing meeting is:

      Monday, January 7, 7PM, Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave S, Mpls.

      (Walker Church is 1 block from Lake Street and Bloomington Ave). (Note:  regularly scheduled  mtgs are now first Monday of each month).

      Bring your thoughts, ideas, actions for building the Movement for Health Care as a Human Right, a government funded single-payer for all MN and U.S.

      Suggested items (yours' are welcome):

      -Welcome, intros,
      -Orientation, background
             -MLK Day Jan 21
             -Building a grassroots media campaign (f/u from our Forum last month)
             -Building the grassroots, labor, practitioner group etc network
             -Legislation:MN Legislative session begins Feb
             Reportbacks:
             -Mobile Community Health Screenings/ Ed. Outreach
      -MN Health Fund
             -Personal Stories Project

      See you there, bring a friend
      joel

    • Joel Albers
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008

        Dear Health Care Activists,

        The next UHCAN-MN organizing meeting is:

        Monday, February 4, 7PM, Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave S, Mpls.

        (Walker Church is 1 block from Lake Street and Bloomington Ave). (Note:  regularly scheduled  mtgs are now first Monday of each month).

        Bring your thoughts, ideas, actions for building the Movement for Health Care as a Human Right, a government funded single-payer for all MN and U.S.

        Suggested items ?  (yours' are welcome):

        -Welcome, intros,
        -Orientation, background
               -UHCAN-MN/Arise Bookstore Feb 10 ,Health Screenings,Sicko Film,Actions Jude Ortiz
          -Legislation:  UHCAN-MN bill proposal for '08 session (expanding public programs)
          -Resist the RNC planning, rep from North Star Health Collective
          -MN Health Fund for preventive/ER services progress

          hot tea served to stay warm

        See you there, bring a friend
        joel

      • Bob Johnson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
          Greetings,

          I have just been talking to my son-in-law, and he is a physician.  He tells me the presenmt single payer system would bankrupt him under the present patterns being put forth in the single payer philiosophy.

          Any comments??

          Bob

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
            Can anybody get me off this darn list?

            Cheryl (CJ) Madsen, Manager
            HRMS Production Support
            660 WBOB - mailing address
            538 WBOB - Office location
            612/626-7963 Phone
            612/626-8924 Fax

            >>> Joel Albers <joel@...> 1/31/2008 2:33 PM >>>

            >>> Dear Health Care Activists,
            >>>
            >>> The next UHCAN-MN organizing meeting is:
            >>>
            >>> Monday, February 4, 7PM, Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave S, Mpls.
            >
            >>> (Walker Church is 1 block from Lake Street and Bloomington Ave).
            >>> (Note: regularly scheduled mtgs are now first Monday of each
            >>> month).
            >>>
            >>> Bring your thoughts, ideas, actions for building the Movement for
            >>> Health Care as a Human Right, a government funded single-payer
            >>> for all MN and U.S.
            >>>
            >>> Suggested items ? (yours' are welcome):
            >>>
            >>> -Welcome, intros,
            >>> -Orientation, background
            > -UHCAN-MN/Arise Bookstore Feb 10 ,Health Screenings,Sicko
            > Film,Actions Jude Ortiz
            -Legislation: UHCAN-MN bill proposal for '08 session (expanding
            public programs)
            -Resist the RNC planning, rep from North Star Health Collective
            -MN Health Fund for preventive/ER services progress

            hot tea served to stay warm

            >>> See you there, bring a friend
            >>> joel

          • Mike Germain
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
              Bob,

              It sounds like your son has been given false information.  In the countries that have single payer, Doctors do not live check to check!  In fact, there is a concerted effort by those opposed to universal coverage to lie to physicians about the implications for their incomes.  I know many physicians that are completely behind single payer, and they are in a drastically different tax bracket than I am in!

              In Germany, the Netherlands, etc, physicians make a well paying salary.  Do not let the HMO and insurance industry liars confuse, bait and switch.  This is part of the problem we face.

              In single payer countries, pediatricians make less than ortho surgeons.  Pathologists make less than cardiologists.

              Just like here.  The difference?  In those countries, the entire coverage environment is not driven by the disgusting greed of the HMO's and insurance companies.  In those countries you don't have the massive numbers of un- and underinsured weighing the system down.

              Your son would still make a salary that most working people would envy, he would not be forced to spend so much time dealing with pencil neck clerks overturning his medical decisions.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                Diane J. Peterson
                White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                birch7@...
              • timothyb115
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                  By the by...

                  Sat at a table at a TakeAction event with Thissen last week and our
                  small group discussion was on messaging (healthcare)... contrasting the
                  current messages that are out there with what the Progressive message
                  is (or should be). Paul was a bit of a proponent/apologist
                  for "personal responsibity" when it comes to significant cost-savings,
                  which was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. It shouldn't
                  have been surprising that he later declined to take a lapel sticker
                  promoting single-payer saying "I don't believe in the concept."

                  He needs pressure AND education.

                  Peace... and accessible, affordable healthcare to all!

                  --- In uhcan-mn@yahoogroups.com, "Diane J. Peterson" <birch7@...> wrote:

                  > Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen
                  hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all
                  over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                  > Diane J. Peterson
                  > White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                  > birch7@...

                • Diane J. Peterson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Thissen is THE key player in the House:  He is the one who decides whether the single-payer gets heard or not.  Lean on him!  Get everyone in Richfield contacting him.

                    Diane J. Peterson
                    White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                    birch7@...

                    Sat at a table at a TakeAction event with Thissen last week and our
                    small group discussion was on messaging (healthcare) ... contrasting the
                    current messages that are out there with what the Progressive message
                    is (or should be). Paul was a bit of a proponent/apologist
                    for "personal responsibity" when it comes to significant cost-savings,
                    which was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. It shouldn't
                    have been surprising that he later declined to take a lapel sticker
                    promoting single-payer saying "I don't believe in the concept."

                    He needs pressure AND education.

                    Peace... and accessible, affordable healthcare to all!

                    --- In uhcan-mn@yahoogroup s.com, "Diane J. Peterson" <birch7@...> wrote:

                    > Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen
                    hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all
                    over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                    > Diane J. Peterson
                    > White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                    > birch7@...

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  • Diane J. Peterson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                      How many people on UHCAN's paper list live in 63A?

                      Sat at a table at a TakeAction event with Thissen last week and our
                      small group discussion was on messaging (healthcare) ... contrasting the
                      current messages that are out there with what the Progressive message
                      is (or should be). Paul was a bit of a proponent/apologist
                      for "personal responsibity" when it comes to significant cost-savings,
                      which was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. It shouldn't
                      have been surprising that he later declined to take a lapel sticker
                      promoting single-payer saying "I don't believe in the concept."

                      He needs pressure AND education.

                      Peace... and accessible, affordable healthcare to all!

                      --- In uhcan-mn@yahoogroup s.com, "Diane J. Peterson" <birch7@...> wrote:

                      > Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen
                      hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all
                      over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                      > Diane J. Peterson
                      > White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                      > birch7@...

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • Mike Germain
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Rep. Thissen NEEDS to be leaned on.  He has been totally co-opted by by participating in the phony HCAC being ponied around by TimPaw.

                        I attended a meeting in which Rep. Thissen repeated as fact many of the lies that the profit protection people are saying about single payer.  In fact, he seemed completely clueless as to what universal health care would even look like.

                        Lean hard!

                        Mike Germain
                        Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                        Diane J. Peterson
                        White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                        birch7@comcast. net

                      • Diane J. Peterson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Who is that?

                          Unfortunately the KEY player in the House is the chair of the House committee that will hear bills, and he is completely in the back pocket of the HMO's.  And Thissen is carrying water for him.

                          Sat at a table at a TakeAction event with Thissen last week and our
                          small group discussion was on messaging (healthcare) ... contrasting the
                          current messages that are out there with what the Progressive message
                          is (or should be). Paul was a bit of a proponent/apologist
                          for "personal responsibity" when it comes to significant cost-savings,
                          which was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. It shouldn't
                          have been surprising that he later declined to take a lapel sticker
                          promoting single-payer saying "I don't believe in the concept."

                          He needs pressure AND education.

                          Peace... and accessible, affordable healthcare to all!

                          --- In uhcan-mn@yahoogroup s.com, "Diane J. Peterson" <birch7@...> wrote:

                          > Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen
                          hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all
                          over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                          > Diane J. Peterson
                          > White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                          > birch7@...

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        • Mike Germain
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                            Unfortunately the KEY player in the House is the chair of the House committee that will hear bills, and he is completely in the back pocket of the HMO's.  And Thissen is carrying water for him.

                            Sat at a table at a TakeAction event with Thissen last week and our
                            small group discussion was on messaging (healthcare) ... contrasting the
                            current messages that are out there with what the Progressive message
                            is (or should be). Paul was a bit of a proponent/apologist
                            for "personal responsibity" when it comes to significant cost-savings,
                            which was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. It shouldn't
                            have been surprising that he later declined to take a lapel sticker
                            promoting single-payer saying "I don't believe in the concept."

                            He needs pressure AND education.

                            Peace... and accessible, affordable healthcare to all!

                            --- In uhcan-mn@yahoogroup s.com, "Diane J. Peterson" <birch7@...> wrote:

                            > Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen
                            hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all
                            over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                            > Diane J. Peterson
                            > White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                            > birch7@...

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                          • Tim B
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                              huntley - duluth

                              Unfortunately the KEY player in the House is the chair of the House committee that will hear bills, and he is completely in the back pocket of the HMO's.  And Thissen is carrying water for him.

                              Sat at a table at a TakeAction event with Thissen last week and our
                              small group discussion was on messaging (healthcare) ... contrasting the
                              current messages that are out there with what the Progressive message
                              is (or should be). Paul was a bit of a proponent/apologist
                              for "personal responsibity" when it comes to significant cost-savings,
                              which was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. It shouldn't
                              have been surprising that he later declined to take a lapel sticker
                              promoting single-payer saying "I don't believe in the concept."

                              He needs pressure AND education.

                              Peace... and accessible, affordable healthcare to all!

                              --- In uhcan-mn@yahoogroup s.com, "Diane J. Peterson" <birch7@...> wrote:

                              > Organize voters and businesspeople in 63A to demand that Rep. Thissen
                              hold a hearing for the single payer bill in the House.--show Sicko all
                              over his district and lean on him heavy duty!

                              > Diane J. Peterson
                              > White Bear Lake, Minnesota
                              > birch7@...

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                            • joel albers
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 4, 2008

                                Dear Health Care Activists,

                                The next UHCAN-MN organizing meeting is:

                                Monday, February 4, 7PM, Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave S, Mpls.

                                (Walker Church is 1 block from Lake Street and Bloomington Ave). (Note:  regularly scheduled  mtgs are now first Monday of each month).

                                Bring your thoughts, ideas, actions for building the Movement for Health Care as a Human Right, a government funded single-payer for all MN and U.S.

                                Suggested items ?  (yours' are welcome):

                                -Welcome, intros,
                                -Orientation, background
                                -Caucus HC talking points, resolutions