Re: [SO] UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 5, Number 13

  • dee777@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 03/30/2000 3:27:04 PM Central Standard Time,

      << Subj: [SO] UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 5, Number 13
      Date: 03/30/2000 3:27:04 PM Central Standard Time
      From: webmaster@... (John Hayes)

      Due to problems at one of my ISPs this weeks bulletin
      has still not been delivered after 7 hours. For this reason
      I am sending it again via a different service provider, this
      will probably result in you receiving two copies.

      John Hayes

      webmaster@...

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 5, Number 13
      March 30, 2000
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      Masinaigan@...

      http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      UGANDA DECLARES SECT
      DEATHS "MASS MURDER"

      The government of Uganda has backpedaled
      and declared the deaths of the Marian sect members
      in Kanungu "mass murder" following the discovery
      of two more mass graves.
      "The strangled and dismembered bodies of 153
      people, including 59 children, were found Friday,"
      March 24, 2000, "buried in the dirt floor of an
      abandoned house--the second horrific discovery
      linked to a Ugandan doomsday cult."
      "The house was 20 miles (32 kilometers) away
      from the cult's compound" in Kanungu, a market
      town in the southwestern corner of the African
      nation. "Where at least 330 members died in a
      fire March 17--deaths authorities first believed were
      a mass suicide."
      "'It was definitely murder,' chief police spokesman
      Assuman Mugenyi said after the bodies--which
      apparently were buried six weeks ago--were found
      Friday."
      "Police had at first thought the adult victims in
      the church inferno were willing participants and had
      considered only the 78 children who died there as
      murder victims."
      "'But now we have discovered these people who were
      murdered. Things have changed,'" Mugenyi said.
      "The house where the 153 bodies were found is
      near the southwestern town of Rukungiri and had been
      used as a meeting place for members of the sect,
      known as the Movement for the Restoration of God's
      Ten Commandments."
      "Police went to the house as part of the nationwide
      investigation into the cult's properties and activities."
      "Inside they found three mass graves dug into the
      dirt floor of two rooms. Some victims were strangled,
      others were hacked to death."
      "After they had been examined by pathologists,
      the bodies were reburied in two mass graves."
      The cause of the fire at the sect's main church in
      Kanungu "has been attributed to gasoline, a bomb
      or both."
      "Minister of State for Regional Cooperation Amama
      Mbabazi, who visited Kanungu on Wednesday,"
      March 22, 2000, "said two top sect leaders may not
      have died in the inferno as had been initially announced."
      "Credonia Mwerinde, a 40-year-old former prostitute,
      and Joseph Kibweteere, 68, who was also known as
      'The Prophet,' may both have left the compound before
      the fire."
      Two days before the fire, Mwerinde claimed to have
      experienced repeated apparitions of the Virgin Mary in
      recent months.
      Mbabazi "said a 17-year-old cult member who had
      slipped away from the church before the fire said
      Kibweteere was not there at the time."
      "Local residents also reported seeing Mwerinde leave
      the compound, Mbabazi said."
      "Two leaders' bodies have been positively identified--
      the manager of the sect's farm and 'a priest.' A number
      of the group's leaders were former Roman Catholic pritests,
      lay workers and nuns."
      On Tuesday, March 21, 2000, "Uganda's Roman Catholic
      bishops" declared that "two former priests who helped
      lead the sect were excommunicated because they 'erred and
      broke the discipline of the Church.'"
      On Monday, March 26, 2000, "prison laborers dug layer-
      by-layer through rotting corpses, pulling dozens of bodies
      from a mass grave at a sugar cane field" near Rugazi in
      southwestern Uganda, "the third scene of carnage linked
      to the doomsday cult."
      "The laborers unearthed 73 bodies, including two dozen
      children and babies, from the field belonging to a defrocked
      Catholic priest who was one of the sect's leaders."
      The former clergyman, Dominic Kataribabo, an associate
      of Mwerinde and Kibweteere, was also found dead at the
      crime scene.
      "The grim discovery brings the number of cult-related
      deaths that police have confirmed to 562" since
      the mysterious explosion that began the church fire on
      March 17.
      "James Bangirana, a local police official, said late
      Monday that he wasn't certain that all of the bodies of
      sect victims had been found."
      "Some of the bodies recovered Monday bore stab
      wounds and others had pieces of cloth wrapped
      tightly around their throats. They appeared to have
      been dead for at least a month, Dr. Ben Twetegire,"
      the state pathologist, said.
      "The bodies were apparently those of strangers--
      sect members who came for seminars on righteous
      living and the end of the world." (See the Duluth, Minn.
      News-Tribune for March 25, 2000, "153 more bodies
      linked to Ugandan cult," page 4-A, and March 28,
      2000, "More bodies unearthed in Ugandan mass grave,"
      page 4-A.)
      (Editor's Comment: So much for the quaint theory
      that all those nutty Christians wiped themselves out.
      We have multiple crime scenes, bodies buried for
      weeks, multiple causes of death. It all adds up to a
      clandestine military force hunting these people down.
      But whose force? That's the key question. I thought
      everybody liked the former Miriam bat-Joachim.
      Apparently not!)

      UFO TERRORIZES WOMAN
      MOTORIST IN COLORADO

      On Tuesday, March 7, 2000, between 9 and 10
      p.m., a woman was driving on a back road near
      Olathe, Colorado (population 1,300). Sitting
      beside her in the car's front seat was the
      woman's baby, who was just under one year old.
      She reported "an encounter with a low-flying
      aerial craft," according to ufologist Davina Ryszka
      of Montrose, Colorado.
      "The craft/object exhibited 'a very bright white
      light and had red and green lights on its sides.'"
      "The woman reported that the UFO 'appeared to be
      confrontational.'"
      "As the object approached her car head-on, at
      first the witness thought it was a low-flying airplane."
      "The witness slammed on the brakes to try to avoid
      what seemed would be an inevitable crash," said Ryszka.
      "And the aircraft stopped right in front of her car. When
      she tried to move, it moved. When she attempted to
      turn the car around and go back the way she came,, it
      moved in front of her car."
      "At this point she was 'really frightened' especially
      because she had a small baby in the car seat. Finally,
      she managed to get in front of the object, and it ended
      up behind her, and she could see it in the rear-view
      mirror."
      "Then, for a time, it was not visible at all, and she
      was relieved that it might be gone."
      "Suddenly, a bright light came on directly above
      her, illuminating her car and the surrounding area.
      And she drove quickly on to Olathe, understandably
      shaken by the whole experience."
      Olathe is on Colorado Highway 550 approximately
      57 miles (91 kilometers) southeast of Grand Junction.
      On Friday, March 17, 2000, at 3 p.m., an Alanosa
      County rancher named Chuck was driving his pickup
      truck on Highway 285 just north of Antonito, Colorado
      (population 76) "when he witnessed 'a metallic sphere
      at the one o'clock position and about 30 degrees up'
      from the horizon."
      "'It did not move in any extraordinary way, but it
      sure didn't look like any any airplane I've seen,'
      Chuck said."
      Antonito is located about 30 miles (48 kilometers)
      south of Alamosa. (Many thanks to Chris O'Brien,
      author of The Mysterious Valley and Enter the Valley
      for these reports.)

      CYLINDRICAL ORANGE UFO
      SIGHTED IN PUERTO RICO

      On Friday, March 24, 2000, at 6:50 p.m.,
      Luz Guzman and Orlando Pla were driving on
      Monserrate Avenue in Carolina, Puerto Rico,
      approximately 8 kilometers (5 miles) east of
      San Juan, when they spotted a UFO.
      "A high altitude unidentified flying object was
      seen flying across the skies from north to south
      over the San Juan and Bayamon metropolitan area.
      The object looked like a thin orange line of about
      one inch length at a 20 degree angle from the
      observers' position."
      "The object crossed the skies in a few minutes
      at the same line of horizontal trajectory until it was
      out of view."
      "The orange color was very vivid, maybe was a
      result of the sunlight shining from below since the
      incident occurred during sunset. The perfect horizontal
      trajectory also dismisses the possibility of it being
      related to a burning satellite re-entering the atmosphere"
      or a meteor glancing off the atmosphere, according to
      Puerto Rican ufologist Lucy Guzman. (Muchas gracias
      a Lucy Guzman para esta historia.)

      FIVE ORANGE-SPHERE UFOs
      RETURN TO PENRITH, N.S.W.

      Penrith, New South Wales, Australia, a city
      about 100 kilometers (60 miles) west of Sydney,
      became the focus of UFO action again last week.
      On Wednesday, March 22, 2000, at 9:50 p.m.,
      Sandra Wilson spotted something strange in the
      night sky over Penrith. Five orange spheres
      "appeared in the east" and "flew to the southwest,"
      she reported.
      "I saw five orange globes gliding in a southwesterly
      direction," she reported, "From the naked eye, they
      seemed to be moving slow. But when viewed through
      my telescope, they had the speed of a comet and were
      very hard to keep in the lens."
      "Through the telescope, they seemed to be the
      colour of reddish-orange, but from the naked eye they
      were just orange. In the centre of the orange glow, the
      shape was that of a circle. I have no idea of the height."
      (altitude--J.T.)
      Sandra added, "This is the second sighting of these
      five objects during the last two months." (Email Form
      Report)

      HOVERING WHITE UFO SEEN
      IN THE NETHERLANDS

      On January 16, 2000, at 8:30 p.m., a young man
      left his friend's house in Groningen, a city in the
      Netherlands approximately 120 kilometers (80 miles)
      northest of Amsterdam, and boarded his bicycle
      for the trip home.
      On the eastern outskirts of Groningen, the
      witness "saw a moving object like a shooting star.
      But it held still for a few seconds on the horizon
      (near the border with Germany--J.T.), then it
      disappeared."
      "Even when it was still, it still had a tail," he said,
      adding that the UFO was "nut-shaped." (Email
      Form Report)
      (Editor's Note: Groningen was the site of the
      mysterious ice fall in the Netherlands a few
      weeks ago.)

      USAF CRUISE MISSILE GOES
      HAYWIRE AND CRASHES IN
      THE UTAH DESERT

      "An Air Force cruise missile flew out of control
      Thursday morning (March 23, 2000) and slammed into
      the ground near the Goshute Indian Reservation in
      remote Tooele County."
      "No one was injured in the 11:16 a.m. crash on
      isolated land administered by the Bureau of Land
      Management (an agency of the USA's Department of the
      Interior--J.T.) said Hill Air Force Base Tech Sgt. Timothy
      Trager. There was no danger to the land, he said."
      "'The 20-foot (6-meter) long cruise missile had been
      dropped from a B-52 bomber that had originally taken off
      from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. The missile
      was being tracked by two F-15 chase planes and an
      Airborne Range Instrumented Aircraft (ARIA) that keeps
      the missile in the plane's radar scope, before it inexplicably
      crashed,' said Staff Sgt. Sonja Whittington, spokewoman
      for the 388th Fighter Wing at Hill Air Force Base."
      "'The pilots never lost the missile visually, but why it
      crashed will be determined by investigators,' she said."
      "Whittington did not know the missile's intended
      target, but said the accident occurred during the third
      hour of a four-hour test run at the Utah Test and Training
      Range."
      "When the missile impacted, there was a slight
      explosion caused by the crash but no fire. The missile
      did not contain any explosives."
      "No one was near the crash site in remote
      Ibapah (population 11) about 185 miles (296 kilometers)
      west of Salt lake City," near the Utah-Nevada state line.
      "'I want to emphasize that these tests are routed
      specifically to avoid populated areas,' Whittington said,
      'We're not going to fly a cruise missile over some
      downtown area.'"
      "Thursday's cruise missile test was conducted by
      the (U.S. Air Force's) 53rd Wing (located) at Elgin
      Air Force Base, Florida, to ensure system reliability
      and accuracy." (See the Salt Lake Tribune of Salt
      Lake City, Utah for March 25, 2000, "Stray missile
      hits desert-" by Richard Vigia. Many thanks to Jim
      Hickman for forwarding the newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: The cruise missile went down just
      south of Ochre Mountain, a sacred site to the
      indigenous Nuche people. This is also the season
      the annual Nuche Bear Dance. Maybe the Four
      Thunders put the hex on that missile.)

      READER FEEDBACK:
      Concerning the "black arrowhead" or delta-
      shaped UFO reported last week in Rochester, N.Y.,
      model airplane enthusiast H.B. Buchanan says we
      shouldn't rule out the possibility that it was a man-
      made model. He writes, "RC (radio-controlled) aircraft
      are extremely light in weight compared to real aircraft,
      owing to the lightweight building materials. Granted, for
      a four-foot-long aircraft, 10 MPH (miles per hour) is
      pushing the limit of maintaining lift, even for an RC model,
      but considering that this was not a measured speed,
      the witness could only speculate. As one who is
      involved with model-building and flying, I've seen RC
      models retaining lift at very low actual speeds." (For
      more on the Rochester UFO, see UFO Roundup,
      volume 5, number 12.)
      Also, reader J. Sabiti reminds us that the African
      nation of Zaire has changed its name back to the
      Democratic Republic of the Congo once again.
      Sorry about that, J.S. UFO Roundup regrets the
      error.

      from the UFO Files...

      1936: PANAMA RED

      Here's another UFO sighting from the pre-Roswell
      era. This one took place in the Central American nation
      of Panama back in April of 1936. Thirty years later,
      one of the witnesses reported the case to the old
      National Investigating Committee on Aerial Phenomena
      (NICAP).
      Back then, the USA administered a strip of land
      known as the Panama Canal Zone (Full control of
      the Zone reverted to Panama in December 1999 under
      the terms of the Carter-Torrijos Treaty--J.T.) Many
      Army and Navy families made their home in the Zone,
      creating a kind of tropical Main Street USA, complete
      with garden societies and country clubs.
      In early April of 1936, Mrs. E.P. Higgins, the wife
      of an American officer, attended a meeting of the Canal
      Zone Astronomical Society at the country club in
      Lago (Lake) de Miraflores, about 25 kilometers (15 miles)
      north of the city of Balboa.
      Following the meeting, the lecturer, whom we'll call
      Prof. Adams, asked Mrs. Higgins if she would like a
      ride back to the city. She agreed, and they set off in
      the professor's 1932 Model A Ford.
      Prof. Adams had graduated from Yale University
      and had also taught there. Mrs. Higgins was familiar
      with Yale and the city of New Haven, Connecticut,
      so they talked about mutual acquaintances.
      "Because the night was so black, and the golden
      stars so numerous, we automatically scanned the
      heavens with our eyes before saying goodnight,"
      Mrs. Higgins told NICAP.
      "Suddenly, the professor shouted, 'Look! That
      one's moving!'"
      "I don't know what I expected when I searched
      in the direction his extended arm and finger
      indicated. But then I saw it, and I felt suddenly as
      though I'd been bewitched and that I couldn't possibly
      be seeing this."
      "But I did see it and continued to do so for some
      time, so I had to believe it even though we couldn't
      find any explanation whatever."
      "His finger had indicated a spot in the sky...
      about 33 degrees from the zenith in a northeasterly
      direction...(that is, over Balboa Heights--J.T.)
      I observed what appeared to be a red star making a
      pathway among the stars. I can best describe the
      look of it by saying that it looked like a red star
      of rather small magnitude--and I can also say that
      it glowed something the color of a cigarette butt in
      the distance."
      "But the course of the thing--that was what
      became increasingly unbelievable as the moments
      ticked by. I had a feeling that it was very, very high.
      At first it seemed like a star making a pathway among
      the stars. Going in a rather straight line--it was
      coming down a trifle and going northward (toward
      Colon on the Atlantic side--J.T.) I think we must have
      gasped aloud when it came to a complete standstill
      for a few moments. And then it started turning over in
      tiny circles. This, a plane could not possibly do, nor
      could a weather balloon."
      "Anyhow, by this time we were so excited that
      we wanted to get a look at it through the (astronomical
      society's) telescope. We rushed out to get the key to
      the observatory, but by the time we drove the eight miles
      out there, we lost track of it."
      "The next day, the professor checked and found
      from the Army that there was no weather balloon or
      plane in the vicinity." (See the book Mysteries of the
      Skies: UFOs in Perspective by Gordon I.R. Lore Jr.
      and Harold H. Devault Jr., Prentice-Hall, Inc., New
      York, N>Y> 1968, pages 112 and 113.)

      That's it for this week. Join us again in seven
      days for more UFO and paranormal news from around
      the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that
      goes home--UFO Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2000 by Masinaigan
      Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post
      news items from UFO Roundup on their websites or in
      newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter and
      its editor by name and list the date of issue in which
      the item first appeared.

      Basic funding for UFO Roundup is provided by the
      National Science Foundation, the Corporation for Public
      Broadcasting, the Philip Klass Foundation and the
      Nelson-Ferris Concert Company...APRIL FOOL!
      IMPORTANT Please Read:
      ======================

      The Hunger Site
      ---------------
      http://www.thehungersite.com

      Every 3.6 seconds somebody starves to death. 3/4 of the
      deaths are children under 5. By visiting the Hunger Site
      and clicking on a button you can donate free food.

      There is absolutely no charge to you for the donation -
      the food is paid for by sponsors.

      Do this once a day (no more) and help make a difference!
      If you have a web site download a banner and give a link!

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives of the UK UFO Network Bulletin,
      AUFORN Australian UFO Reports and Experiences,
      UFO + PSI Magazine also available, plus archives of
      Filer's Files.

      Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
      1. Fill in the brief application
      Apply NOW!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/975/5/_/570531/_/954451492/

      ****************************
      SKYWATCH INTERNATIONAL, INC.
      (A Non-Profit Organization)

      Skywatch International Inc. and this list service are not responsible
      for content or authenticity of posts. Skywatch International, Inc.
      endorses no political candidate for office due to the organization's
      status as a non-profit corporation.

      "What could be stranger than the truth?"

      Skyopen@onelist.com

      To SUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:
      Skyopen-subscribe@onelist.com

      To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:

      Please visit the Skywatch International Inc. Website At:
      http://www.skywatch-international.org