Fwd = Scientists To Test Mars Water-Seekers In Egyptian Desert

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2001
      Originally from: baalke@...
      Original Subject: Scientists To Test Mars Water-Seekers In Egyptian Desert
      Original Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:49:34 -0700 (PDT)

      http://www.spacedaily.com/news/010903032515.7sqiw0vh.html

      Scientists to test Mars water-seekers in Egyptian desert

      CAIRO (AFP) Sep 03, 2001
      Cairo has given the go-ahead for French-based scientists to use the Egyptian
      desert to test sophisticated water-seeking probes before blasting them into
      space in the race to find water on Mars.

      "After laboratory work, we now want to study the performance of our
      prototypes on terrain which matches the surface of Mars as closely as
      possible," said Egyptian astronomer Essam Heggy, involved in the project.

      The Netlander system, composed of four land-penetrating radars, will be put
      to the test in the Western Desert near Siwa in February 2002, ahead of plans
      to send it to Mars in 2007 on board an Ariane-5 rocket, Heggy told AFP.

      Full story here:

      http://www.spacedaily.com/news/010903032515.7sqiw0vh.html