Re: [UFOnet] Kaluza's at the blackboard

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hi Roger,

      here's another nD to add:

      Heim 6D, ca. 1940

      It's signature is + + + - - - giving a line element
      ds² = x² + y² + z² - (ct)² - w² - v²
      which consists of 3 space-like and 3 time-like dimensions.

      What are the signatures of the other theories ?

      Greetings,
      Ted

    • Roger Anderton
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2001
        Ted
        I have never paid much attention to signatures.
        The 4D metric is + + + - and its dual - - - + .
        But if you introduce the square root of minus 1, you can make the signature
        + + + +.
        Why are signatures of interest to you?
        Are you doing anything interesting with these n D theories?

        Cheers Roger

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28, 2001
          Sorry Roger,

          lately i lost the thread - even before September 11.
          Indeed, introducing the square root of -1 makes it
          possible to use all usual vector operations. But the
          resulting metrics are very different (in Minkowski
          space all points lying on a line on the cone of light
          have distance zero). Being aware of all + and
          all - dimensions helps to cope with the "world" you
          work with and can be seen as the dominant thread
          to classify theories.

          Ted