Georgina Bruni interview 31/8/01

  • Joe McGonagle
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
      Interview with Georgina Bruni by Alex Trelinski, BBC Radio West Midlands,
      31/8/01

      Transcribed 1/2 September 2001 by Joe McGonagle

      This version is edited to remove spurious words such as "you know,", "um",
      "er" stutters, etc. I have attempted to maintain the original meaning and
      context throughout. The original transcription has been retained for
      reference.

      [intro (skipped)]

      [AT]-
      Tell us a bit more about this title first, "You can't tell the people",
      where did you get that from?

      [GB]-
      Well that was an answer, given to me by Margaret Thatcher, Baroness Margaret
      Thatcher, when I asked her about, UFO's, and she came back and said "Well,
      you have to have the facts, and you can't tell the people." So, we thought
      that was a great title for the book.

      [AT]-
      But what a fascinating reply, a reply that leads to a million more
      questions, doesn't it?

      [GB]-
      It does indeed, yes, yes it certainly does...

      [AT]-
      ..very interesting. So therefore, one gets the distinct impression that
      "Lady T" knew a lot..

      [GB]-
      I think she did, and she repeated that twice!

      [AT]-
      Why can't you tell the people?

      [GB]-
      Well, you know, I think the problem is that whatever happened, maybe about
      fifty or sixty years ago, it was some kind of unwritten rule that it was
      better not to discuss it, because that would be just after the second world
      war, when the Roswell, actually the Roswell incident happened, and various
      other things were going on in America at that time, and I think they just
      kind of made a decision not to discuss this with the public, out of concern
      that they would panic and whatever's happened since then, there's no-one
      been able to stand up and change that law...or change that rule, and so,
      because now we're still treated if you like, like children. We are far more
      educated on this subject today, and I think it's about time that the people
      were told.

      [AT]-
      But if you talk of a panic, the classic one, always mentioned, 1938, the
      American radio spoof, Orson Welles, War of the Worlds, and we got panic, and
      that was just a spoof!

      [GB]-
      Aaah yes, but I think that was a bit..a bit more exaggerated, Alex, I don't
      think it was quite as bad as what they made out to be. I read somewhere,
      anyway, about that, it was not quite as bad.

      [AT]-
      ..but it makes a good tale!.

      [GB]-
      .yes..[chuckle]..it certainly does!

      [AT]-
      Whenever I discuss this subject, I always come to this particular point, and
      you mentioned your experience with Margaret Thatcher, I find it
      extraordinary that no major world leader, ex world leader, has come out and
      said "Look, there's something in this", this is one hell of a conspiracy of
      silence, isn't it?

      [GB]-
      It is.yes. I mean when I interviewed, and I say interviewed, I use that word
      loosely actually because I was out socially when I talked to Michael
      Portillo for instance, about this, and he was really.interested for about
      fifteen, twenty minutes, and he turned round and he said "look, I know a
      lot, but I tell a little".you see, so they know obviously what.they know
      what's going on, and I'm not saying that all Prime Ministers, and all former
      Secretary of Defence staff know but I certainly think that the majority of
      them, especially Margaret Thatcher was in power , if you like, during the
      1980 Rendlesham Forest incident.

      [AT]-
      .Hmmm

      [GB]-
      .and that is something that the Prime Minister would have known about I'm
      sure, because it was such a..in my opinion.a threat to national security.

      [AT]-
      We'll talk about that in a moment or two, just going back to the world
      leaders, correct me if I'm wrong, and I often am on such matters..I believe
      the only former world leader to say "Look, there may be something in this"
      where perhaps he's trying to persuade people to look into this, is former
      President Jimmy Carter?

      [GB]-
      Yes.well, he had his own sighting, didn't he?

      [AT]-
      .Yes.

      [GB]-
      .and he promised the American people.

      [AT]-
      .ha.

      [GB]-
      .that when he became, if he became President of the United States he would
      ask NASA to open the UFO files..

      [AT]-
      .he was told to shut up, obviously..

      [GB]-
      ..yes, he was, [laugh], and of course, Reagan..come out with a few
      interesting comments from time to time, but no-one, like you say, Alex,
      no-one has actually turned round and said "Yes this is going on, and we have
      been in contact", no..no-ones done that yet.

      [AT]-
      Let's put panic aside, but I suppose that's the main excuse, why, because
      we're more sophisticated these days, and actually, if you did an opinion
      poll survey, a lot of people, I would suggest a majority of people would say
      "yes, there probably is something out there", would there be so much panic,
      and shock-horror if some evidence was produced?

      [GB]-
      I don't think so. No, I'm absolutely sure, I mean, let's look at all the
      sightings that are going on today, people now, I would say that seventy
      percent, maybe even more than that, the people are believers that there is
      something going on out there, that they believe in UFO's, they've seen them
      in the sky, they've heard about them, or they know someone who's had a
      sighting, it's no longer the odd sort of UFO incident in the middle of
      nowhere, in the rural countryside or something like that. No, people are
      seeing these on almost a daily basis throughout the world now, so it's not
      that people are afraid, I'm sure that if a Prime Minister or a leader stood
      up and said "Look, we've been in contact with alien life forms or something
      for the last fifty years", that might be shocking to the people, and I think
      it would be a very brave leader that would do that.

      [AT]-
      Let's talk about what happened in Suffolk. This was a US air force base,
      just over twenty years ago, what happened, Georgina, just give us a precis?

      [GB]-
      Okay, yes, this was a twin base, Bentwaters and Woodbridge, they were
      separated by five miles of forest, and at that particular time, it was
      leased to the United States Air Force in Europe. During December 1980,
      started on Christmas day, for three or four nights, there were sightings in
      the forest on the perimeter of Woodbridge, and the US Air Force was sent out
      to investigate. They thought it was a downed aircraft. They discovered a
      triangular shaped object that was six by nine foot, and it had landed in the
      forest. A few nights later, another landing took place, this time with a
      much bigger ship, it was about thirty foot across and the deputy base
      commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Halt, took another patrol out, and they
      investigated it, they took radiation readings, and actually recorded an
      audio tape, which I have of this incident, whereby they shout, and you can
      hear them say "My God, it's coming towards us, it's definitely coming
      towards us", and so that's basically what happened during that week. What
      happened afterwards, according to the witnesses, they were interrogated, by
      British and American agents, and told to be quiet, to shut up, and not to
      discuss this with not even their family or anything, so people disappeared,
      and were sent away, that's how it started and it wasn't until three years
      later, Alex, that the American UFO group, CAUS, managed to get hold of a
      document, which was a memorandum that had been written by the Colonel, and
      sent to the Ministry of Defence.
      Which, if you like, described everything, not everything, but most of what
      happened on those two incidents, and that's when it really hit the pages of
      the national newspapers here in Britain, and from that moment on, the
      Ministry of Defence covered it up, if you like, or said that nothing
      happened, it was of no defence interest, and that's where it stood at that
      time.

      [AT]-
      Just going back to those few days where they had the sightings, you
      mentioned firstly that they found this small object, where is this object?
      Now?

      [GB]-
      Well it, it disappeared...
      [AT]-
      it just disappear..what, did they physically take it, or did it land, they
      watched it, and it just went off again.?

      [GB]-
      Yes, it sort of made its way through the forest, which is really quite
      amazing so they [thought?] it.you know.I mean, how it got into the forest,
      both of them got. both of these objects got into the forest in the first
      place is interesting, it just sat there, for quite a long time, and in fact
      one of the witnesses, Sergeant Pennistone, walked towards it, actually
      touched it, and said it was warm to the touch. When he walked around to the
      left hand side, he saw symbols on it, these kind of hieroglyphics?

      [AT]-
      .hieroglyphics-yeah...

      [GB]-
      .yeah and then he didn't know what happened, but they.all the witnesses lost
      forty minutes, they had missing time for forty minutes, and the next thing
      he knew, he was standing next to one of the patrol, about fifty foot away
      from where he originally was. So it shot off, it just went up into the sky
      and then just disappeared in the blink of an eye.

      [AT]-
      Was there any video, you mentioned audio tapes, were there any video tapes,
      or any photographs?

      [GB]-
      Yes, they.well they said that there were video tapes and they said that
      there were photographs taken. Now, of course, no-ones ever seen these video
      tapes or photographs...

      [AT]-
      ..how amazing, yes.

      [GB]-
      but ,Alex, I have to tell you this is really interesting, because they also
      took photographs of the landing site the day afterwards, and they
      disappeared too, but I managed to find them in 1999, and so you can see
      these are US Air Force photographs which show a Captain and a British police
      officer examining the landing site, with three indentations on the ground in
      the shape of well, this craft as it landed.

      [AT]-
      So, the years go by, people talk about this, the issue is continually
      raised, and then it is continually rubbished and then you come along with
      your book, basically.?

      [GB]-
      Yeah! and the book came out in November last year, and it was really
      interesting, because I was just going to do an article on it, and then the
      General, who was in charge of the bases at the time, contacted me, now I don
      't know how or why he did, whether he'd seen this article that I wrote for
      the internet or what, but he contacted me, wanted to know what I had found
      out, even came to Britain to talk to me about it, and I thought "my
      goodness, this has to be a book!" [Chuckle]

      [AT]-
      Was he doing this at any personal risk, was he aware that, it's highly
      likely that somebody in America or in this country would be sussing out the
      fact that he was coming to tell you?

      [GB]-
      Yes, well he didn't really tell me very much,.

      [AT]-
      ..hahaha..

      [GB]-
      ..he was really looking for information, and he didn't get very much from me
      either!.

      [AT]-
      .okay, so in other words, I mean, this sounds like a creation of Chris
      Carter and the X-files,.

      [GB]-
      .I know.

      [AT]-
      ..its an amazing story. In other words, was he almost a double-agent, trying
      to find out what you knew?

      [GB]-
      I don't know, I mean, one of the other officers is convinced that he was, if
      you like, set up to come over and talk to me, but..

      [AT]-
      ..he was the patsy?..

      [GB]-
      Well I don't know, I mean, it's really interesting, because why would he
      come to the United Kingdom to have a meeting with me, to talk to me about
      this and see what I knew. Now, maybe he was genuinely interested, but who
      knows, you see you just don't know [short gap in recording] interesting
      story there in the book, a chapter on him, and I found lots of other
      witnesses, and he was very good, he put me in touch with several people,
      but was very reluctant to discuss the incident himself.

      [AT]-
      Hmmm.hmmm..interesting , I watch too much X-files here, I'm just.

      [GB]-
      Alex, it's almost, if you like, in one sense, a little bit like what's
      happening over with the British side of things-every time I made enquiries,
      I would always get an answer from the top level.

      [AT]-
      ..Yeah.but it's an answer designed to fob you off, wasn't it?

      [GB]-
      Yes, in a way it is, but course that didn't work [chuckle]

      [AT]-
      Okay, let's sift through this, . the book's out, and the questions are asked
      in the House of Lords!

      [GB]-
      Exactly. This is Lord Hill-Norton, Admiral of the Fleet, he's been
      interested in this incident, or this case, since 1983, he asked a staggering
      sixteen questions in the House of Lords since January of this year and this
      is a result of the investigation in "you can't tell the people", and he got
      very cross, because, well, you can imagine the kind of answers that we had
      back ..

      [AT]-
      .Yeah, the standard spiel from the civil servants.

      [GB]-
      .absolutely, and he got very cross, and demanded that this information was
      released, and as a result of that of course, Baroness Simon released the
      file on Rendlesham forest and this is absolutley amazing because first of
      all, there weren't supposed to be any! We were told that there was only one
      document in the file, and that was Colonel Halt's memorandum. There weren'
      t.there wasn't supposed to be a file!

      [AT]-
      ..and what did the file reveal, that you didn't know already, or was it,
      let's be honest about it, they're going to reveal a file, but they'll give
      you what you want.or what they want you to have rather than any juicy
      nuggets?

      [GB]-
      That's true, I mean there are certainly some documents missing from the
      file..

      [AT]-
      .heh.

      [GB]-
      yes, like you say, there's noth.. well there is, there is something there
      that we did..so, if you like, how can I say, I knew that there was defence
      staff.or rather I knew it had gone to a higher level, but I didn't know.what
      level and the defence intelligence staff were obviously investigating this,
      making enquiries with their scientific and other departments, technology
      departments, which in itself is interesting, what I did know was that the
      evidence had been taken to Ramstein Air Force base in Germany, which was the
      headquarters of the US Air Force in Europe, what I didn't know, is that the
      General of the US Air Force himself had been handed the evidence at RAF
      Bentwaters/Woodbridge here in Suffolk in England. So I didn't know that, and
      we have the name of the General in one of the documents. The other thing I
      didn't know was that the camera had been switched off at RAF Neatishead, I
      didn't know that for instance the film of the sighting was faulty, and also
      the film prior to and after the sighting was faulty..

      [AT]-
      Oh really, what a surprise!

      [GB]-
      You see.

      [AT]-
      We've only got a minute left here, where are we gonna go with this? Now that
      you've done the book, people have asked questions, what more?

      [GB]-
      Well I think that we now have to go for a public enquiry. [chuckle]

      [AT]-
      Are you serious?

      [GB]-
      Well that's what Colonel Halt wants, he is one of the primary witnesses.

      [AT]-
      ..it's not going to happen.

      [GB]-
      No. He says he has a lot more evidence, tapes, documentation, lots and lots
      of evidence, but he will not reveal it unless there is a public enquiry. I
      think you're right, Alex, I think it's a long shot there.

      [AT]-
      But you can't tell the people, as the title of your book suggests.

      [GB]-
      Yes.

      [AT]-
      Mm-interesting. By the way, fifteen more seconds, have you been threatened
      at all? Have people said to you "Shut up"?

      [GB]-
      I have had some friendly.I call them friendly threats..

      [AT}-
      ..yeah.

      [GB]-
      .if you can take "Oh-be careful you don't walk in front of a bus" [chuckle]
      as a friendly one. I think they were more concerned than anything else..

      [AT}-[interview terminated(skipped)]
    • Reinhard.Nuehlen@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
        is it possible to get some more detailed information regarding this
        inteview. has it already been sent on air?
        who us 'Georgina Bruni' and does she have an e-mail adress or homepage to
        get in contact with.
        thanks in advance for your support
        kind regards
        reinhard nuehlen
        degufo e.v.
        germany
> [...]
        > of evidence, but he will not reveal it unless there is a public enquiry. I
        > think you're right, Alex, I think it's a long shot there.
        >
        > [AT]-
        > But you can't tell the people, as the title of your book suggests.
        >
        > [GB]-
        > Yes.
        >
        > [AT]-
        > Mm-interesting. By the way, fifteen more seconds, have you been threatened
        > at all? Have people said to you "Shut up"?
        >
        > [GB]-
        > I have had some friendly.I call them friendly threats..
        >
        > [AT}-
        > ..yeah.
        >
        > [GB]-
        > .if you can take "Oh-be careful you don't walk in front of a bus"
        [chuckle]
        > as a friendly one. I think they were more concerned than anything else..

      • Joe McGonagle
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
          --- In ufonet@y..., Reinhard.Nuehlen@t... wrote:
          > is it possible to get some more detailed information regarding this
          > inteview. has it already been sent on air?

          Yes, the programme was broadcast last Friday, on a BBC local radio
          staion, BBC West Midlands. The post that you replied to was (almost)
          a literal transcript of the interview. I edited out some spurious
          words (to make it easier to read, not to change the meaning or
          context of the interview), and I trimmed off the introduction and
          termination of the programme, which was simply a welcome and a
          farewell to Georgina.
          If you require the original transcript (before editing), I can send
          it to you, but it adds nothing to the material content.

          > who us 'Georgina Bruni' and does she have an e-mail adress or
          homepage to
          > get in contact with.

          Georgina is the author of the book "You can't tell the people", a
          detailed account of the events surrounding the Rendlesham Forest
          incident, and (in my opinion) a good book to use to try to understand
          the complicated events.
          If you send me a personal email, stating why you want to get in touch
          with Georgina, I will be happy to forward it on to her in confidence.

          Cheers, Joe
        • Reinhard.Nuehlen@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
            hi Joe,
            thanks for your immediate reply. I am the president of DEGUFO e.V, ( German
            UFO-Research Organisation)
            and of course I am interested in this case, as well as this book, may be it
            is possible to receive a copy so we can do a review in our magazine
            "DEGUFORUM" based on this interview I would like to contact Gorgina to
            discuss further details and possibilities of cooperation in the future. In
            2003 wehave the 10th anniversary of DEGUFO and may be there is a chance to
            invite some people from uk to this event doing some speeches or so.
            looking forward to hearing from you
            regards
            reinhard