Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 2, 2001
      Original Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:26:19 -0400 (EDT)

      Hot Gossip UK September 2001

      Welcome to the September 2001 round-up of news, views and gossip from
      the world of ufology, the paranormal, the weird and the wonderful.

      The MOD Rendlesham Forest File

      As regular readers with an interest in ufology are doubtless aware by
      now, Hot Gossip's Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni has acquired the
      MOD's official file on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident. Georgina
      broke the story on August 17 on the popular UFO UpDates site, and the
      Internet was soon buzzing with the news. Georgina received numerous
      e-mails herself, and messages were posted on various sites and
      discussion groups. The next day a website was hastily put up, on
      which more sceptical opinions were given an airing. The documents
      come from a file (or more accurately, from several different files)
      that I used during my tour of duty in Sec(AS)2a, from 1991 to 1994.
      I'm pleased though surprised that some Defence Intelligence Staff
      papers have been released, because although I worked with the DIS
      frequently in the course of my official research and investigation
      into the UFO phenomenon, this was a part of my MOD work that I could
      never previously have discussed with the media or the public. Perhaps
      appropriately, about the most recent paper on the file is a briefing
      that I wrote for the Press Office in January 1994. I was, of course,
      putting forward the O`no defence significanceO' party line. Georgina's
      summary of the file, her analysis of the papers and her research into
      what they reveal are written up in a massive 6000 word article which
      appears in the current edition of UFO Magazine (UK), which went on
      sale on August 30. I'll be writing my own analysis for the next
      edition of the magazine.

      UFO Conference Sold Out

      Talking of UFO Magazine, their Leeds conference has already sold out
      for the Saturday, and will probably have sold out for the Sunday by
      the time you read this. There may be some Friday night tickets left,
      but that's about it. Check out www.ufomag.co.uk for details.
      Seeing as the capacity is around 750, that's no mean feat. Of course,
      the presence of people like Budd Hopkins, John Mack and Georgina
      Bruni may have more than a little to do with the popularity of the
      event, but this is a fantastic achievement for which everyone
      involved should be congratulated. The Internet may have given ufology
      a new dimension, but there's no substitute for a live event where you
      can meet researchers and enthusiasts in person, debate the issues and
      generally have a good time.

      Hypnosis Debate

      The tragic case of Peter Falconio, missing but presumed murdered in
      Australia has reopened the debate about the validity of regression
      hypnosis. A psychologist from Sydney University apparently hypnotised
      Peter's girlfriend, Joanne lees, in an attempt to see whether she
      could recall new evidence about the mystery stranger who allegedly
      flagged down their camper van, prior to attacking the couple. The
      initiative had the blessing of Australian police, but Assistant
      Commissioner John Daulby said that no new information had been
      gleaned from the hypnosis.

      Asteroid Alert

      It is no exaggeration to say that the danger to the Earth posed by
      comets and asteroids is probably the biggest threat to the continued
      existence of the human race. So it's encouraging that the Government
      has invited bids from universities and museums to run the National
      Asteroid and Comet Information Centre. But most of those involved in
      this subject believe that we need more than information packs and a
      website. They argue that what we really need is observatory time and
      R & D work on an interdiction strategy to deflect or destroy any
      inbound planet killers. If you'll excuse the pun, watch this space
      for further developments. Search on the keyword O`SpaceguardO' for more
      information.

      Nazis, Flying Saucers and Anti-Gravity

      Well that's a title guaranteed to grab people's attention. Seriously
      though, if I picked up a book dealing with these sorts of issues I
      might be a little sceptical. But if that book was written by the
      aviation editor of Jane's Defence Weekly, I might think again. So
      with that in mind, look out for the imminent publication (September
      16) of Nick Cook's new book The Hunt for Zero Point, published by
      Century. The Skunk Works, Aurora, UFOs and anti-gravity. It's all
      there. So if that's your thing, check it out.

      Questing Conference

      If alternative history and forbidden archaeology is your thing,
      you'll want to be at the questing conference to be held at the Conway
      Hall in Red Lion Square, London WC1 on November 3. Check
      www.andrewcollins.net for details.

      Crop Circles

      If crop circles were all made by people, would we expect the numbers
      to have fallen off this year as people worried about spreading Foot
      and Mouth Disease, or worried that concerns over this would make
      farmers more trigger happy and more eager to set their dogs on any
      trespassers? Would last year' s conviction of Matthew Williams for
      criminal damage have an effect? Are we talking aliens, Earth
      energies, magnetic fields, wind vortices, or a few people with ropes,
      planks of wood, a few pints of cider and the desire to create some
      conceptual art? I really don't know. But check out all the usual
      websites for the images of this summer's best formations. The latest
      Julia Set formation with over 400 separate circles is a beauty. It
      covers more than 500,000 square feet and is around 900 feet in
      diameter (the length is equivalent to four jumbo jets).

      Flying Saucer Review

      For those of you interested in UFO reports from all around the world,
      check out Flying Saucer Review. Old subscribers and new will wish to
      know that they have a new website, so check www.fsreview.net for
      details of this long running and intriguing publication.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's four books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited,
      Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike are available
      from all good bookshops and from the usual Internet book sites. His
      UK publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while the paperbacks are produced by
      Dell Publishing.

      co Hot Gossip UK 2001

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003