Space Science News

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 1999
      Greetings!

      New in the last week at http://spacescience.nasa.gov :

      --------------------

      Several months ago we had a great string of successful, on-time
      spacecraft launches. Lately we've been getting some headaches from
      our launch vehicles. Our next three launches have all slipped due to
      vehicle concerns.

      Launch of TERRIERS has been postponed until no earlier than mid-May
      while concerns with the Pegasus launch vehicle are being ironed out.
      TERRIERS, a mission to measure the earth's ionosphere and
      thermosphere, is at http://net.bu.edu/terriers.html

      Launch of FUSE has been delayed from May until sometime in June. FUSE
      will launch on a Delta II rocket; Boeing has been having trouble
      launching its first Delta III, and that slipping mission is pushing
      FUSE downstream. FUSE is an ultraviolet astronomy mission at
      http://fuse.pha.jhu.edu/

      Finally, and perhaps worst, we decided yesterday to postpone mating
      the Chandra X-ray Observatory with its Inertial Upper Stage (IUS),
      pending additional progress in the U.S. Air Force investigation into
      problems with the April 9 launch of a Department of Defense satellite.
      While the decision will delay Chandra's launch beyond July 9, the
      specific impact on Chandra's launch date is not yet known. Rats. But
      Chandra is a really big investment by the U.S. taxpayers, and we want
      to be as confident as possible that it will be a success. Chandra,
      "the x-ray Hubble", is at http://xrtpub.harvard.edu/pub.html ; more
      details on the slip are at
      http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/news/status/chandrastatus/chandrastatus8.
      html

      --------------------

      In better news, last week we gave the Two Wide-Angle Imaging
      Neutral-Atom Spectrometers (TWINS) mission the go-ahead for
      development. TWINS will be launched on two spacecraft in 2002 and 2004
      to provide stereo imaging of the Earth's magnetosphere. TWINS is at
      http://nis-www.lanl.gov/nis-projects/twins/

      --------------------

      Any graphics people out there? Our Mars Surveyor '01 mission is
      seeking an eye-catching logo. Design one for us! It will be used on
      the spacecraft and elsewhere. Details at
      http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/99/01logo.html

      In related news, thanks to Bill Nye and a bunch of kids, the first
      sundial to be sent to another planet will travel to Mars aboard the
      Mars Surveyor 2001 lander. Story at
      http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/99/marsundial.html

      --------------------

      Seeking Life At Its Limits Leads To Antarctica - story at
      http://www.eurekalert.org:80/releases/temple-sla042399.html

      Finally, a few months ago I put together a little page with links to some
      of the best collections of space pictures around, and posted it at
      http://spacescience.nasa.gov/images.html . That little page has become the
      most popular page on the Space Science site. Although I don't have a lot
      of time to do web-related stuff, I do occasionally think about how to
      improve the site. I welcome suggestions for what you'd like to see.

      Cheers!