Fwd = Aphelion Away! Earth is far from the Sun on the 4th of July

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2001
      Originally from: NASA Science News <snglist@...>
      Original Subject: Aphelion Away! Earth is far from the Sun on the 4th of July
      Original Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:20:19 -0500

      NASA Science News for July 3, 2001

      On the 4th of July, Earth will lie at its greatest distance from the Sun
      -- an annual event astronomers call 'aphelion.' But don't expect any
      sudden relief from the heat. Indeed, say researchers, our planet is
      actually warmer when we're farther from the Sun than at any other time of
      year -- an earth science curiosity that this story explains.

      FULL STORY at

      http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast03jul_1.htm?list58959