Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Jul 2, 2001
      Original Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:32:38 -0700

      Hot Gossip UK July 2001

      Welcome to the July 2001 round-up of news and views from the world of
      ufology, the paranormal, strange mysteries, the weird and the
      wonderful.

      Why JFK Was Shot

      It's being claimed that JFK was killed because he was about to make a
      public announcement about Roswell and the alien presence, against the
      wishes of a shadowy cabal controlling and managing the UFO situation.
      The text of this alleged speech has been circulated widely on the
      Internet. This is a new take on a fairly old theory (which has
      previously linked the death of Marilyn Monroe with the whole
      business). JFK researcher Professor Lawrence Merrick will be expanding
      on this claim in a new book Killing The Messenger - The Death of JFK.
      I'm no expert on this subject, but here's my small contribution: the
      speech ends with the phrase 'I ask you to look to the future not with
      timidity but with courage. Because we can achieve in our time the
      ancient vision of peace on Earth and prosperity for all humankind'. I
      wonder whether, in 1963, the word 'humankind' was in usage? The word
      'mankind' appears earlier in the speech (I've drafted speeches for
      politicians, and it's unusual to switch between these sorts of words
      in a carefully scripted announcement) and was used in 1969 when Neil
      Armstrong first stepped on the moon. So can anyone find a US
      government document or the transcript of a political speech, from 1963
      or earlier, using the word 'humankind'? If not, I'd suggest the speech
      has to be a modern hoax.

      Eye Spy

      The second edition of Eye Spy! magazine is available from 5 July, and
      will feature more revelations and in-depth analyses on various topics
      connected with intelligence, espionage, terrorism, military matters
      and conspiracies. There's never been a magazine quite like it, and
      many of the feature writers are people with backgrounds in or contacts
      with the military, government or the intelligence agencies. The
      magazine is getting a lot of media attention, and their website is
      expanding rapidly too, so check out www.eyespymag.com for further
      details and subscription information.

      David Jacobs Visits UK

      David Jacobs flew over to the UK for a short vacation last month, and
      together with Timothy Good, myself and a few others had a very
      pleasant evening at Georgina Bruni's flat, where we talked about
      ufology and abduction research, comparing the situation in the UK and
      the US. David gave us copies of UFOs & Abductions, which he edited.
      This book contains essays by himself, Stuart Appelle, Thomas Bullard,
      Jerome Clark, Don Donderi, Budd Hopkins, John Mack, Michael Persinger,
      Michael Swords and Ron Westrum. The book aims to examine ufology (and
      particularly the abduction phenomenon) in a way that will encourage
      academic and scientific study. The authors have differing areas of
      expertise and differing perspectives, but this is one of its
      strengths. This thought-provoking book is highly recommended. It's
      published by the University Press of Kansas (which should tell you
      that the book passed muster in terms of data evaluation and
      methodology) whose website is www.kansaspress.ku.edu.

      UFO Controversy on TV

      The following is a transcript of part of an episode of Frasier, the
      popular US comedy series. The episode was entitled Docu Drama, and was
      screened on Channel 4 in United Kingdom on Friday 20th April 2001.
      Former astronaut Senator John Glenn has been hired to narrate Roz's
      space documentary, and makes the following comments while Frasier and
      Roz are arguing in the adjacent room. We only hear part of Senator
      Glenn's comments, as the action moves between the two different
      locations:

      Well I'm the one that's sorry; it's my nature to be honest and - and

      Back in those glory days I was very uncomfortable when they asked us
      to say things that I didn't want to say, and deny other things

      Some people ask, you know, 'were you alone out there?'. We never gave
      the real answer, and yet we've seen things out there; strange things

      But we knew what we saw out there and we couldn't - we couldn't really
      say anything and - and the bosses were scared of this, they were
      afraid of War of the Worlds type stuff and - and about panic in the
      streets, and so we had to keep quiet and now we only see these things
      in our - well, in our nightmares or - or maybe in the - in the movies,
      er, and some of them are pretty close to being the truth

      Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh (Glenn moves his hand in an animated fashion,
      as if tracing the motion of a rapidly moving object)

      Glenn enters the adjacent room where Frasier and Roz have been
      arguing, assuming that they have heard his comments, when in fact they
      haven't.

      Glenn: Er, look, er, about what I just said out there. Can we just
      keep that between us?

      Roz: Oh, of course Senator.

      Glenn: Good well - oh wait, you were recording all that?

      Roz: Yeah but that's OK, we've got plenty of tape.

      Glenn: I'm gonna need that tape.

      There has been much debate about this, and some ufologists have read a
      lot into this, believing it to have been just another way of
      acclimatising the public to an extraterrestrial reality, prior to some
      sort of official announcement. I'm afraid I think this is nonsense,
      and that the whole thing was just par for the course for a witty and
      sophisticated show like Frasier. But I've seen innacurate versions of
      the transcript put out in various magazines and websites, and wanted
      to put out the correct version.

      Disclosure

      I've just received an advance copy of Steven Greer's new book,
      Disclosure, which comprises edited testimony from 68 of the people
      (mainly ex-government or military) whose interviews were used in his
      Disclosure Project. More about this next month, when I've had a chance
      to read it.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's four books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited,
      Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike are available
      from all good bookshops and from the usual Internet book sites. His UK
      publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while the paperbacks are produced by
      Dell Publishing.

      � Hot Gossip UK 2001

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003