Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Jun 2, 2001
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Web result for: http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/pope.html
      Original Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:47:29 -0400 (EDT)

      Hot Gossip UK June 2001

      Welcome to the June 2001 round-up of news and views from the world of
      ufology, the paranormal, strange mysteries, the weird and the
      wonderful.

      An Indian Chupacabras?

      Many national newspapers have covered the search for a strange
      creature that has terrified citizens of New Delhi in India, and has
      supposedly been responsible for two deaths. Dubbed 'Monkey Man', this
      creature apparently stands four and a half feet high and is hairy.
      Other witnesses have described the creature having shining eyes and
      wearing a helmet. Two are said to have died while fleeing it, and
      other reports suggest that over 50 others have been mauled. Indian
      police have formed a special 14 man squad and have offered a reward,
      while others have joined vigilante squads, patrolling the streets
      armed with torches and sticks. Is this creature a monkey, perhaps
      escaped from a circus? Should we look to cryptozoology for answers? Or
      is the whole thing a hoax, or some sort of mass delusion? I'll be
      watching with interest, to see how this one pans out.

      Silbury Hill Probe

      Could Silbury Hill be about to give up some of its secrets? The 130
      feet high, artificially constructed mound was built somewhere between
      2000 and 2800 BC, and despite numerous theories, nobody really knows
      why it was built. Its a popular site for the New Age community. Crop
      circles have appeared in surrounding fields, and strange lights have
      been seen in the vicinity. There have been several previous attempts
      to excavate on the site, looking for hidden chambers and passages, and
      some of these digs obviously caused some damage. Last May, a shaft
      opened up on the top of the hill, and had to be covered. There was a
      further collapse in December, and before engineers decide how to deal
      with this, a 3-D seismic survey will be carried out. This survey will
      start in the near future, and may help clear up the mystery of what -
      if anything - lies beneath the mound. Any hidden chambers or tunnels
      should be revealed. I'll keep you posted.

      Disclosure Project Views

      Like him or loathe him, you can't avoid him. Dr Steven Greer is fast
      becoming one of the most high-profile characters in ufology, and his
      so-called 'Disclosure Project' has been one of the most talked about
      ufological ventures in some time. In a nutshell, this was an attempt
      to draw together various people to give media briefings on the UFO
      issue, from positions of authority. Essentially, this excluded
      ufologists and restricted participants to those such as pilots or
      military personnel who had seen UFOs, or those who had been involved
      in some aspect of official, government UFO programmes. The short-term
      aim was to brief the media, with the goal of generating serious
      coverage, although the longer-term goal is a series of Congressional
      hearings, leading to disclosure. But disclosure of what, precisely?
      Critics of Greer have questioned the bona fides of some of his
      witnesses, and have accused Greer himself of being a self-publicist,
      with a decidedly New Age, cultist approach to ufology. What's my view
      on all this? Well, I've met Steven Greer a couple of times, and have
      recorded some material for his archive of statements from those
      involved in government UFO projects. He invited me to his May 9 event
      in Washington, although for a number of reasons, I didn't attend. I
      really have mixed feelings about the whole situation. Some of Greer's
      witnesses are good people with genuine and important stories to tell.
      He has undoubtedly generated some publicity for some of that material,
      and if this brings ufological data to a new audience, that can only
      help. But if the good material appears alongside false claims and
      cultist claims about benevolent aliens that ignore - for example -
      much of the abduction data, then ufology will have been done a
      disservice. It's too early to say how this will turn out. I'll end
      this segment by reproducing a quote of mine that was printed in The
      Sunday Express, who ran a big feature on the Disclosure Project on May
      6: 'Those people who have genuinely been involved in government or
      military UFO projects undoubtedly have fascinating stories to tell. I
      hope people will pay attention and realise that the UFO phenomenon
      raises some serious defence and national security issues'.

      Eye Spy Out Now

      Britain's newest and most controversial magazine has just hit the
      streets, having been launched officially on 24 May. Eye Spy! is likely
      to cause a sensation with its hard-hitting mix of articles and
      interviews on subjects such as espionage, terrorism, military matters
      and conspiracies. As such, the magazine is a sort of cross between
      Intelligence and National Security and Jane's Defence Weekly, although
      the glossy style is more suited to the populist market. It should be
      available from all good newsagents, but if you have any difficulty in
      getting hold of it, you can take out a subscription at
      www.eyespymag.com.

      Hypnosis Under Attack

      As I write this column, the High Court is hearing the case of Lynn
      Howarth, who claims that a stage hypnotist's act (where she was
      regressed to the age of eight) led her to recall sexual abuse, leading
      her to become depressed and attempt suicide. She is claiming that the
      hypnotist was negligent, and is seeking damages for personal injury.
      As the case is continuing, I can say very little about this, for legal
      reasons. But it should be pretty obvious that this case has
      implications for anybody who uses regression hypnosis in work with
      abductees. I'll be able to say more about this next month.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's four books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited,
      Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike are available
      from all good bookshops and from the usual Internet book sites. His UK
      publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while the paperbacks are produced by
      Dell Publishing.

      � Hot Gossip UK 2001

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003