Re: A letter sent to me...

  • Joe McGonagle
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30 3:53 AM
      The content of your post is exactly right-too many false claims are
      circulating on the internet, causing a lot of confusion. It is very
      easy to be taken in by them, and they are often presented in a very
      biased way, not even discussing the alternative explanations. When
      people realise that they have been misled, it can be very
      embarrassing, and many will not retract their statements for fear of
      looking foolish. This perpetuates the whole thing.
      There is no shame in making a genuine mistake, and passing it on, but
      when such a mistake is discovered, it should be acknowledged.
      There is another type of disinformation, whereby people for whatever
      reason (usually money) want to mislead other people. I get very angry
      when I see people making claims such as the transistor being an
      example of captured alien technology, when they either clearly know
      or should know (with a little research) that this is not the case. In
      my view, suich people are either dishonest, or careless in their
      research.
      This encourages such false beliefs among people that don't have the
      time or inclination to follow up such a statement with research, and
      these people, quite innocently, perpetuate them.
      In my case, I don't have the time to research some of the more
      obscure claims, and until I find reasonable proof of them, I treat
      them as suspect. I think that this is the best way to proceed, treat
      all reports with a level of scepticism until you, or someone that you
      trust, has the time to do some research and verify or discredit (as
      far as is possible) such claims.
      Just thought I would get on my soapbox,
      Joe