Fwd: World Of The Strange Newsletter 4/30/01

  • Autymn D. C.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2001
      Subject: World Of The Strange Newsletter 4/30/01
      From: SHnSASSY1@...

      SPECIAL THANKS: A special thanks to ALL that sent me emails, cards, letters,
      phone calls and even Flowers during my most recent set back due to my health.
      LOVE & LIGHT
      *LOUISE*

      ~~~~~~~~~~~World Of The Strange Newsletter 4/30/01~~~~~~~~~~~
      Your Sponsorship Can Be Running In This Spot-For More Information Contact Me
      At SHNSASSY1@...
      Order your BOOKS through our New book store, also I will personally help you
      get books in the far corners of the WORLD! Just ask me! When you buy a book
      through WOTS you help me to maintain the site which has always been paid out
      of my pocket, but right now things are getting shaky and I need some help, so
      every bit counts.
      THE ROSE & THORN LITERARY E-ZINE
      http://members.aol.com/Raven763/index.html
      A journal for readers and writers of fiction, poetry and essays -
      Showcasing emerging and established writers worldwide. A
      distinguished site using fine art to complement works of fiction.
      Receive writers' tips, free literary newsletters, and participate
      in our interactive forums. Read and submit yours now!
      *****RJ's eBOOKS*****
      http://www.rjs-ebooks.com
      ~FEATURING~
      PowerGlide by Jason Leigh, Mexico's Most Important and Potent Plants and
      Herbal Remedies by Ty Hadman and The Secrets of Meeting, Attracting, and
      Charming Today's Women by Richard Taush & Associates plus a host of other
      books. Please visit our website and explore the currant ebooks that are
      offered!
      Please View: http://www.worldofthestrange.com/Archives/040901.htm
      For Details On These Most Exciting ebook!
      Main Website: http://www.worldofthestrange.com
      This Issue's Site: http://www.worldofthestrange.com/Archives/043001.htm
      ####################
      CONTENTS
      #1. Award Winner Of The Month - The Bible UFO Connection
      http://bibleufo.com/
      #2. Who Haunts These Castle Walls? by: Swaroopa Iyengar
      http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,42947,00.html
      #3. The MIB Enigma by: Louise A. Lowry (shnsassy1@...)
      http://www.worldofthestrange.com (View Illustrations On Website)
      #4. The De Loys' Story by: Matt Posner DRMP15@...
      (Picture Can Be Viewed On The WOTS Website)
      #5. The Strange Disappearance in a Place Known as the "Seven Hunters"
      by: Stephen F. Clementson stephenandlesley@...
      (Picture At WOTS Website)
      ####################

      #1. Award Winner Of The Month - The Bible UFO Connection
      http://bibleufo.com/

      Editors Notation: I am please to announce this website as our award winner of the month for May. I have known Patrick for a few years now and he has been hard at work the past few months to put together this most impressive site. Believe me you also will find hours of reading this material and documentation. This site will also will be growing, he has along way to go..but now in one site you will find some of the answers that you may seek...Read the Bible Anomalies, the Conclusions, and subjects.
      Also send in your comments to: comments@...

      Throughout recorded history mankind has dealt with the phenomenon known as Unidentified Flying Objects. From cave artists to astronauts, from peasants to presidents, in every culture, and on every continent encounters with UFOs are the most common and well-documented phenomenon of all. Science snubs it, the government debunks it, and the church ignores or condemns it. There is a common thread running through each of these attitudes and that is competition for power. Science can't admit to anything that may be more powerful than it perceives itself to be. Government can't allow anything it can't control. And the church can't accept anything it thinks might compete with its dogmatic view of God. It is this last sector that defies any sense of purpose or logic. The very book the entire Christian religion is based on, the Bible, is a virtual UFO digest. The God of the Old and the New Testament is very clearly described as regularly appearing in flying, glowing, and spinning objects. There is an entire fleet of flying objects armed with high tech weapons and devices revealed, and close encounters of every kind found in the Bible. Despite this reality, if the subject of UFOs is ever discussed in religion, it is labeled as evil. It is called the Great Deception of Satan. Those, more radical, in the recognized church hierarchy have gone as far as to condemn the millions of those who don't accept this dogma to a horrible and painful death. This work has been undertaken in defense of those countless millions who throughout thousands of years of human history have witnessed or simply believe that UFOs are real and not simply satanic holography. Among those who would qualify for this modern Inquisition are an impressive company of biblical authors including: Moses, Samuel, Job, Ezra, Elijah, Elisha, Joshua, Jonah, Jeremiah, Solomon, Nehemiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Joel, Amos, Habakkuk, Nahum, Zephaniah, and Zechariah. Also included are: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James and Paul. And perhaps the worst of these supposed satanic believers is Jesus himself. He actually claims to be in charge of what the church inquisitors claims are satanic vehicles that contain demon aliens sent to deceive mankind.

      The Bible UFO Connection gathers together the hundreds of biblical references pertaining to the technologically advanced nature of the super race known as the Elohiym. Categorized are the vehicles they fly, the flight characteristics of those vehicles, the beings associated with them, and the technology those beings possess. This is presented as an attempt to lift the veil of ignorance and mystery held tightly over the most published work in the world. It is intended to counter the unjust condemnation of seekers of the truth by those who claim to be keepers of that truth. Perhaps that Great Deception just might be the most obvious cover-up in history.

      A DISCLAIMER : THIS WEBSITE IS NOT A RELIGIOUS OR CHURCH SPONSORED ENDEAVOR THIS SITE IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY SECULAR ORGANIZATION IT IS OUR INTENTION TO PRESENT FACTUAL INFORMATION
      ####################

      #2. Who Haunts These Castle Walls? by: Swaroopa Iyengar
      http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,42947,00.html

      Edinburgh Castle

      If you're going to search for ghosts, it's probably best to do it where the ghosts are.
      That's why a psychology professor chose the International Science Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland, as his stage for the "world's most comprehensive scientific investigation" for ghosts.

      And the soul-searching, they say, is not for the faint-hearted.

      "Edinburgh has a reputation for being one of the most haunted cities in Europe -- we will scientifically examine the 'ghostly' phenomena," said psychologist Dr. Richard Wiseman, the leader of the nine-man ghostbuster team.

      Wiseman has identified three places reputed to house restless souls: the prison cells of the Edinburgh Castle; the South Bridge vaults; and Mary Kings Close, a disused street where people suffering from the plague were sealed up and eventually died.

      The dungeon cells of the castle are said to be teeming with the specters of many famous leaders from the 1745 Jacobite uprising such as the Earl of Kellie, MacDonell of Glengarry and MacDonald of Glencoe.

      Yet the most-sighted phantasms have been of a "ghost dog" from the dogs' cemetery, a ghostly piper and a headless drummer. Several prisoners of war from the French seven-year war and the American War of Independence supposedly wander in vain around the cells.

      The researchers will be using a $42,000 Oriel thermal imager, with geomagnetic sensors that record changes in magnetic fields. They also have sensors that measure changes in air temperature and recognize shifts in air movement. The changes are supposed to be a fair indicator of a spooky, weightless presence. They also have a video camera.

      "This project is the most definitive ghost search ever conducted," said Jim Houran, a professor of clinical psychiatry at the Southern Illinois School of Medicine, and part of the team.

      The spook-search is open to anyone who can stomach it.

      People who do not fear the unknown are being asked to walk alone through the hot spots and report any unusual experiences, like a change of temperature or any feelings of spiritual unease, to the scientists.

      The core team will then go in with all their equipment to measure activity around the allegedly haunted areas.

      "We have had lots of public interest and Wiseman is recruiting the people to help him," said Pauline Mullin, spokeswoman for the science festival, in a telephone interview.

      "At the moment the scientists are spending days studying the incidents people are reporting -- and at nights they go off into the supposedly haunted locations," Mullin added.

      But according to Mullin, the team does not expect to find conclusive evidence of a supernatural presence.

      "Dr. Wiseman is a skeptic," she said. "He is going to announce the results at the end of the festival (on the 17th) but he probably won't find anything."

      Wiseman told British newspaper, The Times, that ghost encounters were often partly attributable to fear of an unusual environment. He also said that the kind of people who are likely to see ghosts are more open to suggestion and tend to have a strong belief in the paranormal to begin with.

      Jeff Behnke, a spokesman for Paranormalnews.com feels that Wiseman would not want to lose the respect he has garnered from being a skeptic and is "practically required by his peers not to find anything."

      "It's pretty much a given that as soon as a 'serious researcher' finds personal proof of something, he is no longer considered serious, a researcher, or a scientist. He's all of the sudden stepped into the realm of New Age spirituality. Will Wiseman want that to happen to himself? No. Unless he wants to change careers," Behnke wrote in an e-mail.

      Have a comment on this article? Send it. Printing? Use this version. E-mail this to a friend.
      ####################

      #3. The MIB Enigma by: Louise A. Lowry (shnsassy1@...)
      http://www.worldofthestrange.com (View Illustrations On Website)

      Editor's Notation: This article was featured in the Fall Issue of the Paranoia Magazine http://www.paranoiamagazine.com/

      Who are these strangers called Men-in-Black (MIB). Arguments for and against do little to resolve this ever increasing mystery. Are they part of our own "Secret Government?" Or are they extraterrestrial entities themselves? Often people saying that the faces of these MIB were Oriental looking. And what about the reports of them even being "Robots"? Here are reports and stories so bizarre that many of them defy any sort of earthly explanation. Stories of actual UFO sightings and people's harassment by the MIB. Including my own true story when I was a child and the stranger that dared to come.

      A Craft Sighting, Plus a Stranger

      As I think back on this time in my life, I find it very weird as I learn about more and more of these kinds of sightings.

      Not quite sure as I sit here thinking what year it was, but it was either 1960 or '61 in the summer time. It was the end of July or the beginning of August, and I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. I used to travel and spend my summers with my Aunt, Uncle, and 3 cousins (twin girls Denise and Darlene, and my other cousin Butchie). All of this took place in a small town where they lived in Trappe, Maryland, which is right outside of Cambridge.

      One evening after we had finished our dinner and were all cleaning up, Butchie went outside to take out the trash.....it was about 8PM-8:30PM the light was still strong. It had been a very hot day. In fact, this was a week of a considerable heat wave going on. All of us girls were cleaning up the dishes when Butchie came running in SCREAMING, "There is something flying in the back field, hurry come see!" The back field that he was talking about is a baseball field that sits behind the local church....we had always played there. In fact, in this small town it was the only place to play.

      So my Uncle Butch, Butchie, my other 2 cousins and I ran out the door and through the backyard until we came to the ball field. At first, what we saw was so unbelievable that we just stood there, but being children I guess we wanted a closer look, and we walked through the gate to the first-base side dugout. Then we even proceded to climb it to be closer to this thing, while my uncle stayed on the ground!

      It was silver-gray in color,as I now call pewter and we didn't see any windows or doors (or for that matter, any kind of seams like you would see on a plane). I have only seen this type of craft in a few pictures, but it was the kind that had what looked like 3 large balls underneath it. This Craft was about 90 feet in diameter... we pretty much had the size down since it was much bigger than the baseball diamond which runs 60 feet from base to base. The oddest thing I really remember was how it was just hanging there....there was almost no noise at all except for a very slight hum (but I must repeat, very slight!). A few of us even tried to touch this thing flying there. It was about 10 feet off the ground, and about 20 feet from us, but since we were on the dugout it seemed like it was sitting right in our laps.

      While we sat there we had to keep on covering our eyes, as dust was being kicked up by the craft and at times was flying into our eyes. My Uncle did nothing but stand there and watch. We chattered, asking, "What is it?" and "How come there is no sound from something this big?". After a few minutes this craft started to lift up ever so slowly, and it just kept on going straight up until it was like a helium balloon so far up that you could hardly see it. Then it just took off.

      People have asked me "Did you have any sun burn?". No, there were no marks at all, or any kind of burns on us. I have also been asked if there was any missing time. I know there was not.

      Now the final part of this story is very strange. My uncle worked for the Marine State Police in Maryland, and after this happened I knew he had called someone about this sighting because he was very excited. Us kids went upstairs to watch out the window (I think we spent half the night doing this). After my uncle finished his phone call, he was walking around the place like a cat on a hot tin roof. I'm not really sure if he was upset or nervous.

      The next day when my uncle came home from work, he called us kids together for a sort of pow-wow, but we knew something was wrong because he was physically upset. When he started talking we knew he meant what he said. He told us that we were never to talk about this to anyone, and we were to keep our mouths shut! He said we didn't see anything...and he kept repeating "DO YOU UNDERSTAND"....I will never forget this because we were all trying to say "But, BUT!" and he kept saying to "SHUT UP", repeating it over and over, and that we were not to talk to anyone about this thing we saw or we could get into big trouble! So of course we all told him that we would not say anything.

      Later that day was another thing! We were told to stay inside the house until we were told that we could go out again. As we stayed in the house, we started to see people walking around out back, heading for the baseball field. They were carrying some kind of instruments, but being young I didn't know what they were doing. For the rest of that day they were there. The following day they returned, and we started to watch them again when we began to comment on a strange person that was just standing there. The reason we noticed him was that he was wearing all BLACK, which was strange since it had been very hot the past few days we all knew that black clothing drew heat. This person never spoke to anyone and just watched, dressed in black with a hat that was also black, but really looked to big for his head.

      This person, did not approach anyone, or even talk to anyone that we could see, he was just watching what was going on...as time went by he just vanished...and who had told my Uncle to quiet us? The threat of this person or persons remained both nameless and faceless. Even going to my Uncle's grave of which he never talked to us about it!

      After this sighting this pretty much had set the tone for me, into reading about other worlds and the strange happenings going on, but it wasn't untill 88' that I started to dig around to find some truths...

      When They Visit You..Who Are They?

      During these strange visitations, the most notable feature that singles these visitors out as more than just members of a UFO group or curiosity seekers is their irrational and eccentric behaviour. They often look very normal, except for their dark clothing. Their car, if they have one usually is quite large . They have also appeared to come from nowhere, often, disapperaing as fast as they have appeared. The threats that they impose on a person are very demanding.

      John Keel author of 'The Mothman Prophecies' and 'Operation Trojan' talks about the MIB activity in the USA during 1965 and 1967. Keel himself professed some experience of these nocturnal meetings with these entities.

      In one reported case an individual in civilian clothes, who represented himself as a member of NORAD (North America Radar Defence Network), demanded and received photographs belonging to a private citizen. In another case, a person in an Air Force uniform approached local police and other citizens who had sighted an UFO, assembled them in a school room and told them that they did not see what they thought they saw, and that they should not talk to anyone about their sighting.

      In one very strange case in September 1976, Dr. Herbert Hopkins was called in on a consult and to hypnotise a UFO witness in Maine USA, he found himself visited by two of these MIBs, one being a WIB (Woman in Black). The man had lip gloss on his mouth and lipstick smears; he also wore ill-fitting clothes. The woman was physically lopsided. At the conclusion of the by now routine sequence of inane questions this far from the UFO obsessed witness, Dr. Hopkins, was told by the MIBs that they had to go as they were running low on energy!

      Robert (Bob) Luca and his wife Betty Andreasson (Luca) have often been plagued with the government type of harassment while living in their home in Connecticut. Since their move, things seemed to have been a bit more quieter for them, but as I was talking to Bob he wrote to tell me of one experience he had had in the 80's. The following is that story:

      In the early 1980's, I think 1983 during the winter Betty and I decided to take a trip to Florida to visit Betty's sister who lived in Pompano Beach FL. Normally I would make the drive from Connecticut with only two stops at rest area's to take a nap.

      This trip was a little different as we had many delays due to road construction and accidents. We got as far as Lake Worth FL. and decided to stop overnight at a campground were we had stayed in the past while vacationing with our camp trailer.

      We pulled into the Lake Worth Campground on Lake Worth Road about a half hour before dark.

      As soon as I went into the office I heard two people talking about a UFO sighting over the campground the night before. Being tired and not wishing to engage in a long conversation I said nothing instead I paid for our lot and went back to the car.

      We had a car with fold down seats that made a reasonably comfortable bed and thought we would settle in for a good nights sleep and than, in the morning, shower and be on our way. Well, that
      did not happen.

      As we were stretching out getting ready to go to sleep a baseball sized multi faceted multi colored ball of light drifted into the car THROUGH the closed drivers door.

      This ball was illuminated from within and slowly passed through the car from the drivers side to the passengers side. Thinking this was quite unusual I made a mental note of it and again settled down
      to sleep.

      Later that night, after midnight I heard a car pull in near us and looked out the window surprised to see a dark Cadillac car had pulled up to the rear of our car at a forty-five degree angle. Thinking they were probably trying to beat the campground out of the overnight fee I went back to sleep. I awoke again around three am. needing to use the rest rooms that were about thirty or
      forty yards from us.

      As I exited our car without waking Betty and locked the door behind me. While walking back from the rest rooms I noticed the car parked near us was a black four door Cadillac sedan with the familiar yellow New York license plates. As I approached the left rear of the car all four doors opened at EXACTLY the same time. Four men got out of the car, all were dressed in black suits with black ties, white shirts and black rimmed hats. These men appeared to be Asian, all were very slender of build and looked very much alike as brothers would. Strangely I felt no fear or threat from these men, possibly because of their lack of size or body weight.

      As I passed the car still looking at them they all moved around the car, much as children playing musical chairs, and when they were all exactly opposite of their starting positions they entered the car and closed all four doors again at EXACTLY the same time. The sound was as though only one door had closed. I got into our car thinking wow those guy's are weird.

      Some physical proof of the evenings events were apparent in the morning. First when I turned on the radio and the time came on I noticed the digital clock in the car had gained twenty minutes overnight.

      The previous day it was in sync with the time given on the radio. Second the roads in the campground were all laid out like a grid running east/west or north/south. The compass was pointing due north when we parked the night before and now it was pointing almost due east, a change of almost ninety degrees. The compass would never read correctly again. Also when walking around the car with a hand held compass, the compass would point directly to the car as it should, the only exception being the area of the drivers door where the ball of light had come through. When the compass was near the drivers door it would spin quickly AWAY from the car even at distances of four to five feet from the car. To this day electrical engineers I have talked to cannot explain the effects on the compass or digital clock except to say perhaps they were subjected to some type of electrical magnetic pulse. This is the closest I have ever come to the MIB and to this day I sure wish I had the presence of mind to ask them what they were doing.

      Changing With The Times?

      As most MIB sightings go, they are often viewed just like the movie (Men in Black) with Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith, with their black clothing, sun glasses and Big Black menacing Cars. These were the typical sightings in the early 50's, 60's and even going into the 70's. But now there seems to be a "new" trend to the Mibs. They are often seen now in different color cars, and of course impersonating members of a UFO group or some agency.
      The following are true accounts of these strange men.

      Last year, Sharon's first occurance with these individuals was, having a silent black heliocopter hoovering over her bedroom for about 3 minutes. She only realized it was out there because her dog was going nuts, Then she went outside and bingo, right above her house about 40 feet or so, was the most ominus helicopter. This was in Feb of 1999. It was black with tinted windows and very long blades, silent, no landing gear visiable.

      It took off gracefully from where it was hoovering and flew off towards the naval base on the bay.

      In March of 99', Sharon spent the nite in a hotel on the beach. Kinda to get away from all the strangeness around me at that time.

      As she drove to the beach and turned onto the highway that led to Port Aransas, at which time she noticed another heliocopter, just like the one that had been over her home. Sharon watched it as it followed her all the way to Port Aransas city limits, where it banked right in front of her car and then flew off towards the Gulf of Mexico.

      Unnerved by this event, Sharon kept her mind on getting on with her short journey. She signed into her bungalo on the beach and went for a walk along the beach. She was the only person on this beach, which was odd she had thought. Placed on the sand periodically are port-a-pottys made of wood. As she passed the 3rd one she had an eerie feeling of being watched. Sharon kept walking not looking around, until the feeling gripped her in my gut. She turned around and looked up and there above the 3rd potty station was a helicopter, same type. Pointed directly at her. Not a sound did this machine make, all she could hear was the air from the blades. Sharon could not see inside for all the windows were dark. She simply stated to them, that they could do nothing to her. That she was protected and turned herself around and started walking the half mile back to my bungalo.

      Sharon had turned around once, saw that the heliocopter had turned to follow her yet it was still in the same place. She decided to walk a little faster, her heart was racing for she realized if they decided to they could take her then and there and no one would ever know. Sharon's family did not know where she was in Port Aransas at this point for she had not called them yet to let them know she had arrived. So she walked very quickly, the heliocopter did not follow her, instead it seemed to have "vanished", surely she just did not see what direction it flew off to.

      Sharon had went out to dinner that nite and got back home and called her husband to let him know she was well. She told him to call back so that the call would be less expensive. She waited for an hour for him to call, before she tried calling him back. In the mean time, Sharon tried to turn on her television, it wouldnt work, all static, then she tried her CD player that she brought with her, same thing. That is when Sharon decided she would try to get her husband again. She called, the operator said that her number was not a working number, the operator tried several times, she insisted it was not a working number. So Sharon asked her to try a few others (friends numbers) she got the same thing, this even confused her. Sharon finally gave up, called the front desk, and asked that someone come see about her television, the man on the phone was very ummm 'cold' and said, we will have someone with you shortly' and hung up. At this point Sharon remembered she had the cell phone and decided to try to call a friend of hers (a fellow experiencer) who lived in another state. She got through to his voice mail, left him a message that if he had not heard from her by ten am the next morning to get ahold of her husband.

      Then she became very sleepy and fell asleep on one of the beds. When she awoke, Sharon thought it was morning and she found herself not only in the other bed above the covers, but but was naked as well. With a very groggy mind, she went looking for my clothes. She finally found them in the living room area of the bungalo by the front door on the floor. (A very strange place to be!)

      She got redressed (in different clothes) and checked the time, it was 10:30 pm, how could that be? For when she left the message on her friends service it was around 10pm. just 30 minutes had passed? This could not be possible.

      As Sharon walked over to the television and turned it on, to see if it would work now, indeed it did and Sienfeld was on, confirming the time for her. She then tried my CD player, it too worked. Then tried her husband on the phone and got through with no problem. She did not at the time tell him of her strange sleep she had.

      She had hung up with him, finished watching Sienfeld and while a part of another show came on she again fell asleep. She awoke from a strange "dream" that really did not feel at all like a dream. The following is what she had recalled!

      Getting out of bed after falling asleep, walking down the short hallway running her fingers along the wall as she did, and into the living room area, which was quiet small. There on the couch was a Man, dressed in dark colors, thin tie and the infamous dark glasses. There was another Man standing right at the door dressed exactly the same way. Now here is where Sharon's memory gets all joggled. The next thing she recall is a prick of a needle, and then being told, "You will cooperate and not speak of this anymore, You will not remember this "

      She did not recall them removing her clothes, but she did recall one placing her in the bed, she was really out of it. Then her memory ends, or the dream ended.

      What she felt is this, the dream was her memories coming forth of them when they were just there. In other words, she fell asleep the first time, they showed up, did thier "thing" and she woke up naked, then fell asleep again, and dreamt what was done to her. Partially.

      There was a needle mark on her arm, she can tell you that.
      When she awoke from the "dream" she really expected it to be late, but it was only midnite. She got up showered, and then showered again. Put on clean nite clothes again, turned the TV way up and ended up falling asleep again without any incident, waking up at then 5am.

      Sharon had went for a walk on the beach, ate breakfest, called home and told her husband she was coming home.

      On the way back to the city she realized that she needed to call her friend in the other state whom she was able to leave a message with. It was now 10 am,as she called, got his voice mail and told him that she was on her way home and fine.

      Later that night at home she contacted that same friend, he told her he gottem the messages, but had asked her, "Why did you send them right after each other?"
      Her friend was in Law Enforcement and his voicemail messages are sure to get through with both times and dates...this system has never failed. Now the message she sent him at 10 pm the nite she had arrived in Port Aransas he did not get until the next morning at the same time he got the "I'm on my way home and am safe' message the next day!

      Was this a MIB visit? These strangers were very drone in speaking, in fact Sharon didn't recall the one by the door saying anything. She has also had strange vehicals parked outside her home for hours. Tinted windows, odd plate, or no plates. These vehicals are not always black in colour they have been green, white and red.

      Impersonating Others?

      A man in July of 93' who had taken film of some lights of a UFO on his camcorder from an east coast town loaned it, on their request, to a UFO group. They provided no identification or a receipt (as all reputable groups will these days), and the film disappeared without a trace. That UFO group, as later inquiries established, does not exist.

      Jenny Randles, investigator and author of numerous books, also fell victim when a journalist arrived to make a radio program for the BBC. At his insistence she gave him an important tape recording of an encounter at a military base. But he had refused to take a good-quality copy instead of the original. In fact, luckily, he was given another better quality copy (not the original), as he had believed. The program never appeared, and extensive checks with the BBC could not identify neither him nor his work.

      The Photographing Session Or PIBs (Photographers In Black)

      The following is an account by Amy Hebert, whom has had many experiences.

      On Friday, May 5th, 1995, around 6:00pm, I was driving to a hypnosis class (for my certification) heading east on a major thoroughfare in Dallas. I saw a flash of light in the car and thought it was some kind of reflection off something but it was cloudy and there was no sun. I saw it again, another flash of light, and I thought some police car might be flashing its spotlight around at various cars or something. I looked at a mall parking lot to my left but no police car was there. I just blew it off and went on driving. Then, I saw it again and I thought maybe it was lightning. Every time the flash lit up the inside of my car. I watched the sky for a minute but saw no lightning.

      The fourth time the inside of my car lit up, I saw something out of the corner of my right eye. I automatically turned to my right and saw a man with a camera snapping pictures of me and my car. He was about 35 years old, wearing a black shirt, driving a beige, mid-sized pick-up truck and had a camera in his right hand snapping pictures with the flash on.

      He was in the right hand lane even with my car driving parallel with my car. When I turned and looked at him, he took one more picture, put the camera down on the seat beside him, grinned right at me, put on a black, baseball hat or part of some uniform and drove off ahead of me. I realized he had been taking pictures of the back of my car then of me in my car!

      For a minute or two, I was stunned. I wondered, "Now why in the hell would anyone be taking pictures of me and my car?" It just didn't make sense. Then I remembered when that black car had chased me and my vow to chase any car that followed me again. I got angry, stepped on the gas and went after the guy.

      Weaving in and out of evening traffic, I caught up with him and stayed right up on his bumper no matter how fast he went. When he stopped for a red light, I got out a piece of paper, slapped it on the dashboard and started writing down his license plate number and a description of him and his truck. He watched me steadily thru his rear view mirror the whole time. I followed him down the road for a while until I had to turn to go to my class. I paid good money for that class and nothing was going to keep me from being there. A few days later, I went to the Motor Vehicle Tax and Registration Office and had them look up the owner of the truck. I signed a piece of paper, paid $3.00 and they gave me a print out of the owner's name listed for that vehicle. I read the print-out and died laughing! The owner was listed as "Jo Bob's Used Cars" (not the actual name but almost as
      humorous).

      I looked up "Jo Bob's Used Cars" in the phone book, got the phone number and called. When a man's voice answered, I asked him if he was "Jo Bob". He said no, his name was Mike (pseudonym) but he was the owner of the car lot. I asked him if he could tell me more about a beige truck with the license plate #XXXXXX that I had seen on his car lot after they were closed. I pretended I was an interested customer. He wanted to know what make and model but I had to say I didn't know. He laughed and said he could not find the truck I was interested in if I didn't know what kind of truck it was.

      I asked him if he could look up the license plates in his files and find the truck that way. He said he'd have to check his files and call me back. But, he kept asking questions so I finally told him why I was
      calling. I just wanted to know who owned it - or who bought it. He became very defensive. I was not mad I just wanted to know who had been taking pictures of me. I asked him if maybe it belonged to one of his employees. He said he did not have any employees. Finally, he said he would check on the truck in question and I could call him back in 30 minutes. I thanked him and hung up.

      About 2 minutes later, my phone rang and it was Mike (owner of Jo Bob's Used Cars). I was surprised that he was calling me because I had NOT given him my phone number. I asked him how he had gotten my phone number and he said he had the "star-call-back system" (some system that will dial back the number that just called). He wanted to know my name. I told him, "You have pictures of me and my car, now you have my phone number, I am NOT about to tell you my name!" He said he was afraid I was planning to sue him. I assured him I did not plan to sue anyone, I just wanted to know who was taking pictures of me and my car and why. He finally agreed to find out who bought the truck and said I could call him back in 20 minutes.

      While I waited to call him back, I called the Dallas Police Department and spoke with a police sergeant. The sergeant munched her sandwich while I told her the story over the phone. She said there is no law against someone taking pictures of you in your car - I didn't think there was. I was just checking because friends advised me to. The sergeant suggested that maybe this guy was part of some car-theft ring and they were taking pictures of cars they wanted to steal. I pictured my car and died laughing. I told the sergeant my car was a 1984, Chrysler with fading red paint. It was NOT a car ANYONE would want to steal.

      After 20 minutes, I called Mike back at Jo Bob's Used Cars. For about 15 minutes, the line remained busy. Finally, I got through and a man answered the phone. I asked to speak to Mike, he paused and said Mike had gone home. I asked him who he was since Mike said he didn't have any employees. He said he was "John". I asked him what time they closed and he hesitated again. I knew it was Mike and he knew that I knew. We just played the game. I asked when Mike would return and the man on the line said Mike would be back in the morning. I asked when they opened and again he kept hesitating. Finally he told me they opened at 9 am. I thanked him and said I'd call Mike in the morning. I decided I'd probably never get any information out of Mike so I didn't call him back. I'd find out what was going on through other sources.

      I don't know what to make of these HIB's, CIB's and PIB's (tongue-in-cheek abbreviations) but a definite color scheme becomes apparent. Either these individuals are part of some color blind organization or they have some strange affinity for black. Must be some kind of fashion statement.?

      The black helicopters didn't bother me because I could rationalize that they were just flying over...until one almost landed on our house! Being chased by a black car didn't bother me because I reasoned it must have been some pervert on the road. But when somebody starts taking pictures of you and your car (and you ain't no beauty queen in a Porche), you start to wonder what is going on.

      The enigma of the so called Men in Black is almost as much of a mystery as the UFO phenomenon itself. But does such an agency really exist? However when all the evidence is considered, it does seem that nearly all aspects of supernatural interest are in some way monitored by an agency, that until now has remained both faceless and nameless!

      References and Thanks

      Illustrations: Luis Vazquez luart2@...
      Luart Productions: http://www.luart.com/

      Jenny Randles nufon@... : Book of UFOs -Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 0-8069-8132-0 Email (letter) account

      Bob Luca bluca@...: Email (letter) account http://www.aaf-ufo.com/

      Amy Hebert yelorose@... : Email (letter) account
      http://TheVanguard.tripod.com

      Sharon Orionwng11@... Email (letter) account

      Peter Brookesmith: The Government Files Publisher Barnes & Noble ©1996
      ISBN 0-7607-0218-7

      About the Author:
      Louise A. Lowry is the Editor of an on-line e-zine newsletter that is put out every week on the paranormal. She is a mother and home maker for her husband that has supported her for over 31 years during her search for the truth. The weekly Newsletter "World Of The Strange" has been on-going since 97' and now supports over 2,000 subscribers and numerous discussion list!
      She also helps Co-Moderate a discussion group called Para-Discuss along with T.J. Elias tje@... of the Paranormal Research Primer http://www.tje.net/para/main/ Louise has also been an research investigator for Skywatch Internationl, Inc.
      ####################

      #4. The De Loys' Story by: Matt Posner DRMP15@...
      (Picture Can Be Viewed On The WOTS Website)

      This is a photograph supposedly of a dead great ape of a species for which no physical evidence has ever been obtained. For a full account of how the photo was supposedly taken, you can go to a number of sites of which this one <http://www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo> is a highly satisfactory example. In short, the story is that, in 1920, a Swiss geologist named De Loys was exploring for oil somewhere between Venezuela and Columbia when a pair of apes attacking his camp. The one in the photo, a female, was shot and photographed propped up on a crate. Insufficiently curious, De Loys failed to collect any other evidence than the photo. Later, another scientist, Montandon, brought the photo to public attention, where it still is sometimes examined and debated. Does the evidence of this photo lend support to De Loys' story? I'm going to look at the photo as carefully as I can. It may in fact be a hoax, and many writers treat the picture as a clear and obvious hoax. Maybe it is indeed; but it's a difficult hoax to expose.

      The photo was taking in 1920; it received public attention in 1929. Public debate about evolutionary theory was very heated at that time, and a "missing link," an animal between ape and man in features, was eagerly sought, whether found live or in the fossil record. De Loys' ape may have been used as a weapon in that debate; but read on.

      Let's start with the suspicious fact that there's only one photo. Perhaps De Loys didn't know his men had slain a hitherto unknown beast, but still, if it intrigued him, why did he photograph it only once and from only one angle? If we could see De Loys' ape from the back and side, or have close-ups of the head and hands, we could learn much more about it. Our limitation, as viewers, to a single angle helps the possibility of hoax by constraining our ability to eliminate possible indications of hoax, such as a line of stitches down the back where the stuffing was added, or the presence of a tail stub, which would re-classify the animal as a monkey, decreasing its missing-link ambiance. (As it stands, in some copies of the picture, the animal has a furry projection between its legs which, while it resembles a tail, has been compared to the female genitalia of a spider money.)

      This being said, I'm prepared to concede the possibility that De Loys was just too much of a dunderhead to realize what a find the dead animal was or for how many decades his photograph and story would be intimately scrutinized. But it's posed in a very human posture, propped up, as if to declare itself a "missing link," striking a blow in favor of the evolutionary debate that was raging seriously in the 1920's.

      The actual photo itself, while its details are obscured by indirect lighting, has enough detail visible that it isn't obviously or unquestionably phony. The only feature that, at first glance, looks dubious to my layman's eye is the face, particularly the flattened arch of the mouth and the deep-set, hooded eyes. The face does, as some writers have noted, resemble a howler monkey's face, but it's broader, taller, and less hairy. The long nose running into a heavy upper lip is, for me, suggestive of a baboon or mandrill, although there are of course no similar animals in Latin America. The animal's wrinkled brow might be indicative of the kind of leathery facial skin great apes often have. All the same, the face of this beast appears to me somewhat as if it has been stretched, reshaped, or sewn together. I would say this, however, with less than 50% certainty. It's not obviously fake and could be genuine. If the ape is fraudulent, the face is the best clue: it's too human-looking, too timely in its "missing-link" feel; it could have be manufactured for that purpose.

      The hands are not human hands. The long fingers are suited for gripping tree branches--they look like monkey hands. The torso is more cylindrical than you'd expect a human torso to be. The animal is very lean, its fur spare, and you can see ribs. The thinness and fur pattern is very like those on a chimpanzee's torso. There are really no hips. The arms are very long and heavy compared to the body. The legs attach to the body at an angle which suggests an arboreal lifestyle and precludes much bipedal walking in favor of swinging, climbing, and quadrupedal motion. This animal's shape, in other words, strikes my non-scientist's eye as suiting it to a lifestyle much like an orang utan's. On the other hand, the clumpiness of the fur on the scalp and shoulders resembles that you might see on an old pelt, a poorly preserved museum specimen, or a worn-out costume. This last complaint is, I think, relatively minor.

      Because, as I said earlier, the light is inexact, I have to allow for the possibility that the same corpse, photographed under better conditions, might appear more or less genuine. However, having only this photo to work with, I can't declare unequivocally that this photo shows an otherwise unknown great ape. As I've said before, it is posed in a way that suggest "missing link," and its face is too humanlike, too unlike the faces of other great apes, for me to feel totally comfortable affirming that it's genuine. There's a chance that the photo shows a real dead animal; if not, then it's a large monkey with a manufactured head sewn on top.

      Here are some more useful links:

      A page with articles on De Loys' ape and lots of ape-man and bigfoot topics <http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/creatures.htm>

      Another good detailed account of the photo's history <http://www.primate.wisc.edu/pin/monorei.html>

      Editor's Notation: Our Thanks to Matt for his continued contributions to WOTS on his fine writing!
      ####################

      #5. Paranormal ESPionage - The Military-Occult Complex

      http://www.newdawnmagazine.com/Articles/Paranormal%20Espionage.html

      The ability to see people, places and events at a distance in space and time by employing extrasensory perception seems like a handy intelligence gathering technique. The CIA's acknowledgment in 1995, of the existence of secret operations involving the use of specially trained people to psychically spy on distant targets, was proof enough to many people the technique worked. That announcement has given rise to innumerable experts with training courses all purporting to transform just about anyone into a 'remote viewer'.

      To bring the whole phenomenon into perspective, New Dawn interviewed W. Adam Mandelbaum, author of the new book Psychic Battlefield (published by St. Martins Press). He is a former intelligence professional, who served with the United States National Security Agency. He has been a martial arts instructor, tarot card reader, and has worked as an attorney since 1981.

      W. Adam Mandelbaum is certainly qualified to write about remote viewing. He is a member of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers, and was a Fellow of the American Society for Psychical Research. Along with Joseph McMoneagle, former CIA psychic spy, he has co-founded the Intuitive Studies Institute, to carry on the research in remote viewing.

      NEW DAWN: Tell us about yourself and how you became interested in psychic research and the paranormal?

      MANDELBAUM: Since I was a child I had always been interested in the dark side of things, monsters, evil wizards, that sort of thing. When I went to the James Bond movies, I always voted for the bad guy – they seemed so much more interesting than Bond. Smarter too. Anyway, I was an avid reader in occult subjects, and when I became an adult, I made the move to active practitioner too. My study of the Oriental martial arts led me to an interest in the power of the mind. I have read tarot cards semi-professionally since 1975. Later, I became a member of the American Society for Psychical Research – the American version of the British SPR. I have also practiced ceremonial magick for the last twenty five years. The closest I’ve come to working dark side magick is in my work as a criminal defense lawyer in New York. Law may be the one truly Satanic profession. (Laughing)

      NEW DAWN: What prompted you to write Psychic Battlefield?

      MANDELBAUM: I had served four years in military intelligence during the Cold War. I was involved in electronic espionage. You know, one of those “gentlemen” who aren’t supposed to listen to the conversations of other “gentlemen” – but do. Back then, it was the Czech military and diplomatic types who merited my attention. That experience gave me a fascination with intelligence. As far as the paranormal goes, I always felt that the intelligence services were using psychics, and was aware that the Eastern Bloc had done extensive research in this area. The use of the paranormal for military and intelligence purposes goes back to before biblical times. While there had been books published on specific time periods and specific projects which dealt with military use of the paranormal, there never had been a complete history of the subject, nor the identification of what is in reality a military-occult complex, comparable to a military-industrial complex. Since the book I wanted to read did not exist – I wrote it. St. Martin’s was kind enough to buy it and publish it.

      NEW DAWN: Psychic Battlefield is described by one reviewer as the first book detailing the entire history of the symbiotic relationship between the paranormal and the military. What are some of the highlights of this relationship and how have they influenced the course of history?

      MANDELBAUM: The British Intelligence system was founded by Sir Francis
      Walsingham, who used witches as spies. Some five centuries ago. Actually this made a lot of sense. The witch by nature of her or his profession, must be an underground, sub rosa type. She has access to people and networks of connections that could be quite useful to spies. Both sorcery and espionage are by nature clandestine endeavours, and it is no surprise that both types develop a “working relationship.” Now Walsingham also worked closely with John Dee, who was known as Queen Elizabeth I’s “Intelligencer.” Dee had been involved with communication with supposed angelic entities that made such predictions as the defeat of the Spanish Armada, and the execution of Mary Queen of Scots. These revelations were obtained with what they called a “shew stone”, which basically was a polyhedron crystal that Dee, and his seer, former counterfeiter Edward Kelly (aka Edward Talbot) used to communicate with the celestial spirits. Or so they said. Later, during World War II, Ian Fleming, the literary daddy of “Bond, James Bond” who was with
      British Intelligence, worked with the infamous sorcerer Aleister Crowley in a plan to get Hess to defect to England at an “astrologically” opportune time. Hess did. The Brits also used a supposed remote viewer in WWII named “Ann” who allegedly could psychically spy on high level military meetings in Berlin. Maybe it’s true. After all, the supposed thousand year Reich of Hitler fell some 988 years short of its intended duration. The point is the soldier and the psychic have been comrades in arms for five millennia.

      NEW DAWN: Paranormal research is often dismissed by mainstream intellectuals and popular culture as charlatanism, unworthy of serious attention. In your book, you write of a military occult complex and show how psychic abilities are indeed used by the highest levels of the intelligence community. Why the cover up? Why in your view is the general public being kept in ignorance?

      MANDELBAUM: It is also these mainstream intellectuals who pay serious
      attention to religion, which in reality is much more incredible than the paranormal, and borrows heavily from it. To be fair, much of the occult is laden with charlatans. I’d say about 95% of it. But, it is important to remember that a spy or a soldier must use whatever weapon or technique proves of utility. That means supersonic jets and psychics too. Whatever works. The same types who don’t understand how psychics might be of service to the military, probably wouldn’t understand plasma weaponry or infrasonics either. They wouldn’t believe that thoughts can be mechanically implanted by using certain frequencies of electromagnetic waves. Yet there are patents for these devices. Why the cover up? The nature of intelligence is secrecy. One doesn’t often expose the variety and capacity of one’s sources and weaponry. But classified information is like an old toilet. Sooner or later something’s going to leak out. Also, the CIA did not want the political
      fallout from being once again given the reigns to the psychic spying
      program. It’s hard to justify spending millions of tax money from John Q. Public on programs that Mr. Public would laugh at. Why is the public being kept in ignorance? First, we must realise that this phenomenon called the general public is much more concerned with next meal’s menu than it is with the borders of man’s cognitive powers. Ignorance is its usual blissful state. All you have to do is watch American television to confirm that the general public not only likes ignorance, it desperately wants it – it cultivates it. Hopefully, my book has put a dent in the armour of the public ’s ignorance about psychic spying. That portion of the public that can turn off their television and engage in the ancient arcane art known as reading a book. That was my intent in writing the book. (That and the fame, glory and riches it would bring. I still wait for those last three events, however
      [Laughing]).

      NEW DAWN: You mention how the CIA conducted paranormal research and engaged in remote viewing experiments. Can you elaborate on these programs, especially the US government’s Stargate program?

      MANDELBAUM: The CIA was the original sponsor of the remote viewing research being conducted at the then Stanford Research Institute (now SRI International) in the early seventies. I believe the initial investment was some fifty thousand dollars. It was discovered that certain people had the ability to describe situations and sites without any normal sensory contact therewith. We’re talking accurate technical physical details here. It was neither distance nor time sensitive. In other words, one could see into the past, present and future of a location or an event. The CIA was a consumer of the data provided by the operational unit formed in 1978 which lasted until 1995. One consumer of many. Stargate was the last name given to the program of remote viewing. I believe its original name was Grill Flame.
      (Sounds too much like a barbecue product to me). Stargate was a better name. Watergate had already been used. There were a few talented people sitting around in a low building in Fort Meade, Maryland using their minds to spy for a variety of government intelligence consumers. Imagine some guy on a couch in a neutral room with a bunch of audio and video equipment. All he is given is some random numerical coordinates. No other information, for the most part. And he goes out into the ether with his extrasensory perception and hooks some juicy intelligence information. Sometimes the psychic spies failed. Sometimes they came up with amazingly accurate information of great intelligence value. My book deals with these instances. New weapons technologies were psychically described. Hostages were found. Military plans of enemies were obtained. Neat, huh?

      NEW DAWN: In recent years several people have gone public claiming to have worked in some capacity for the Pentagon or the CIA in the area of remote viewing. Books published on remote viewing by many former insiders make contradictory claims. Are they part of an intelligence agency disinformation campaign?

      MANDELBAUM: No, I don’t think so. The disinformation campaign of the CIA was delivered with their 1995 sponsored Evaluation of the Remote Viewing Program by the American Institutes of Research. What I call in my book the “Hot AIR Report.” This think tank, AIR, was provided with the “facts” the CIA wanted them to have. They didn’t get access to about 90% of the data. They reached the conclusions the CIA wanted them to reach – that yes, there was evidence of psychic functioning, but it had proven operationally useless. This was a complete lie. After the issuance of this “evaluation” the following year in 1996, the CIA made the mistake of declassifying a 1977 internal CIA evaluation showing that remote viewing was of operational utility. It was a report that originally appeared in a CIA classified in-house publication,
      Studies In Intelligence, by a Doctor Kress. This report is in the appendix of my book Psychic Battlefield, and should be read by everyone interested in the subject. Actually, it should be read by everyone in the world, because it details the amazing potential in the mind of man. As to the so called, ex-remote viewers, some of them are legitimate. Ed Dames, who teaches, was a training officer in the program, and went through the training. Lynn Buchanan served in the remote viewing unit, and is well respected in the field. He sponsors free remote viewing assistance to law enforcement searching for missing children. Nice guy. David Morehouse was a member of the program for a short time, and proved himself to be (among other things) a competent remote viewer. He’s a very creative writer also. The best in the field, the longest serving remote viewer was Joseph McMoneagle, who I interviewed in my book. Joe and I became friends, and we recently formed a research organisation to carry on the investigation of the powers of man’s
      mind. The world will be hearing more about that soon.

      NEW DAWN: Has the CIA had any reaction to your book?

      MANDELBAUM: On May 15, 2000 I had the pleasure of having lunch with the DCI, George Tenet at the Yale Club in New York City. The Director of the CIA is a young and highly intelligent person. I hope he survives as DCI after the November elections. I presented him with a copy of the book. His reaction was to say “thank you.” Any other reaction is probably so classified, I don’ t even know what it is. (Laughing) I don’t think the CIA is sending any “men in black” to come get me. Maybe they put a copy of the book in the library at Langley. Personally, I think they should buy a copy for every employee for Christmas. That way I would become incredibly wealthy, and could come to Australia to visit. You seem to have the most incredible animals here. You
      also have the right idea about the proper size for a can of beer.

      NEW DAWN: There seems to be strong pro and con reaction to Psychic
      Battlefield. To what do you attribute this?

      MANDELBAUM: Differences of opinion make a horse race. I believe a lot of the negative criticism comes from those “wannabes” in the field. A “wannabe” is American slang for somebody who wants to be a player, but can’t. It should not be confused with the Australian word “wallaby”, which I believe refers to some type of animal I probably wouldn’t want to eat, and might be rather messy to keep as a pet. People who are in the field have been most kind in their praise and attention given to the book. I humbly thank them.

      NEW DAWN: What’s next on the horizon for you, bookwise?

      MANDELBAUM: I am presently (through my agent) marketing a book that deals with the supernatural on trial in the 20th century courtrooms of the world. This book, like Psychic Battlefield, will be a “first of its kind.” If the spirits are willing, it should be out in a year or two.

      NEW DAWN: Does everyone have psychic abilities? How can a person develop these abilities and where do you advise they begin?

      MANDELBAUM: Psychic ability is like artistic talent. Everybody can draw
      stick figures, few can draw like Leonardo Da Vinci. You are either born with it or not. Not very democratic, but true. The training can help bring out natural talent, but it will not likely increase it. Think of decreasing the static in a radio signal. Where to begin? I would say to read my book, for its historical overview, to show what has been done, what is possible. Then, I would recommend Joe McMoneagle’s book, Remote Viewing Secrets. I cannot recommend, nor do I condemn, the variety of video and in-person training courses out there. I will say that if you expect to become expert in remote viewing after eight hours of training, you should read Dicken’s Great Expectations. It’s as much a work of fiction as the advertising claims for some training courses. For some excellent exercises, (when pruned from the moralising) I would recommend reading Initiation into Hermetics by the late Franz Bardon. For an entertaining and informative survey of the entire field
      of magic and psychic power, I would heartily recommend Real Magic by P.E.I. Bonewitz. But since I wrote Psychic Battlefield, I hope your readers will buy that one first. After all, I used to watch the Paul Hogan show, and none of those other guys did.

      NEW DAWN: Do you think psychic spying is still going on?

      MANDELBAUM: Absolutely. If not directly under intelligence agency
      sponsorship, then through back channels. It is an inexpensive and sometime highly effective method of information collection. I would not be surprised if the more enlightened terrorists in the world are making use of it. In other words, I sure as hell hope we are still doing it, because sometimes it is the only available method of intelligence collection.

      NEW DAWN: How can our readers find out more about your book?

      MANDELBAUM: Visit my website at http://www.roads.to/PSYSPY
      ####################

      #5. The Strange Dissappearance in a Place Known as the "Seven Hunters"
      by: Stephen F. Clementson stephenandlesley@...
      (Picture At WOTS Website)

      Some of those bizarre clues have been waiting for a long time to be unravelled. The next is no exception to that observation; it has been waiting for no less than 100 years...

      Taken from the book 'Vanished', by David Clark, the next example is entitled 'The Seven Hunters'...

      ..."One of the most mysterious maritime disappearances of the present century occurred not at sea but on land - which is not quite so unfathomable a conundrum as it might at first appear.

      Twenty miles west of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides lie the Flannan Isles, at one time known as the Seven Hunters. They are little more than rocks, the largest of them, Eilean Mor, measuring just 500 yards by 200. Not Dissimilar in appearance they comprise sheer grey cliffs rising to a height of some 200 feet, capped with lush green grass. In the past, sheep were ferried over for grazing. Apart from migrant sea birds, the isles had only one other inhabitant: Saint Flannan, who lived the life of a recluse in the seventeenth century. The ruins of the chapel he built for himself can still be seen on Eilean Mor.

      During the course of the nineteenth century the rocks began to constitute something of a hazard for the increasing amount of coastal shipping and claimed several victims before the authorities were persuaded to build a lighthouse. The tower was sited on Eilean Mor and was opened in 1899 after four years of dangerous and painstaking work. The structure was sited near the old chapel and was 75 feet high with a light sufficiently powerful to be seen 40 miles out to sea. Two landing places, one on the western edge and one on the eastern edge of the isle, were blasted out of the rock. Stairways were etched into the cliff face at each landing point and lifting gear had been installed. But it was a lonely place. There can be few habitations on Earth quite so lonely as a lighthouse. The handful of lighthouses remaining in operation today are for the most part unmanned, their workings having lent themselves to the process of computerization. At the turn of the century, however, the lighthouse on Eilean Mor was manned by a staff of four on a continuous rota, each man doing a six-week shift followed by a two-week break. A steamship, Hesperus, visited the island once a fortnight.

      On 6 December 1900 Joseph Moore left the island for his two-week rest period, leaving on duty his three colleagues, Donald McArthur, Thomas Marshall and James Ducat. Due to severe weather Hesperus was unable to return to the lighthouse until 26 December, a week later the scheduled.

      Although the trip was a routine one, Moore was concerned, partly because his companions had been forced to go without their Christmas mail and provisions, but more so because, for the previous few days, the light had not been visible. Hesperus made for the landing stage to the east of the island. Moore became increasingly worried when it became ap<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)