Fw: Yeti Hair Sample Defies DNA Analysis

  • visions
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001

      Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 2:47 PM
      Subject: Yeti Hair Sample Defies DNA Analysis

      Yeti Hair Sample Defies DNA Analysis
      By Mark Henderson - Science Correspondent    4-2-1
      http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-108351,00.html
             British scientists on the trail of the Yeti have found some of the
      best evidence yet for the existence of the mythical Himalayan creature - a
      sample of hair that has proved impossible to identify.

      Genetic tests on the hair, which was gathered from a tree in Bhutan, have
      failed to match its DNA to that of another animal. The findings, which have
      surprised skeptical researchers, raise the strong possibility that the sample
      belongs to an as yet undiscovered species.

      In Bhutan, an expedition team was led by an 'official Yeti-hunter' to a
      forest in the eastern part of the country, where he was convinced that an
      animal was at large. He told us that he had found evidence of the Yeti in the
      hollow of a cedar tree. Rob McCall, a zoologist who was part of the
      expedition, said. Dr McCall's team removed strands of hair from the tree and
      returned to Britain to have them analyzed.

      Bryan Sykes, Professor of Human Genetics at the Oxford Institute of Molecular
      Medicine, one of the world's leading experts on DNA analysis, who examined
      the hair, said: "We found some DNA in it, but we don't know what it is. It's
      not a human, not a bear nor anything else we have so far been able to
      identify. It's a mystery and I never thought this would end in a mystery. We
      have never encountered DNA that we couldn't recognise before."

      The discovery was made by a team of scientists assembled by Channel 4 for a
      documentary in the To the Ends of the Earth series.
    • alex hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001

        I saw this programme last night and was half expecting the creature to be a bear, I don’t know what it could be now!

[...]

        UFOnet is an open, international, free news and discussion list dedicated to:
        UFOs, Anomalous Phenomena, Astronomy, Skywatching, SETI, the Latest on
        Aerospace Research and Space Flight, Free & New Energy, Exoscience, etc.
        ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Messages to the list-owner: jkumeling@...

        Word voor fl 20,- lid van de UFOnieuwsbrief. Zes maal per jaar in de echte brievenbus het laatste nieuws uit de ufologie, astronomie, ruimtevaart en aanverwante onderwerpen. Kijk op www.ufonet.nl!