Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 31, 2001
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Web result for: http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/pope.html
      Original Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:21:35 -0500 (EST)

      Hot Gossip UK April 2001

      Spring has sprung, so here's the April 2001 round-up of news and views
      from the world of ufology, the paranormal, and much more besides.

      UFOs and MI6

      Whilst reading ex-MI6 agent Richard Tomlinson's book, The Big Breach,
      I found (on pages 106 and 107) an intriguing anecdote with a UFO
      connection. Tomlinson says that the CIA are constitutionally prevented
      from manipulating the media, but that they occasionally enlist the
      help of MI6 with such tasks. He cites as an example an attempt to
      discredit Boutros Boutros Ghali, when he was one of the candidates for
      the post of UN Secretary General, by planting jocular stories in the
      press to the effect that he was a believer in UFOs and
      extraterrestrials. I can recall no such coverage, and wonder if this
      is a garbled version of the 'Third Man' story and the rumours
      concerning Javier P�rez de Cu�llar.

      Leap of Faith

      Much has been written about astronaut Gordon Cooper and the UFO
      phenomenon, with various rumours circulating about personal sightings
      and other involvement. Now he's gone on the record to separate fact
      from fiction, clarifying what actually happened. His book Leap of
      Faith is an autobiography, published by HarperCollins, and devotes
      significant space to the 1951 Neubiberg Air Force Base UFO sighting
      where Cooper and other F-86 pilots unsuccessfully tried to intercept
      UFOs that had been sighted over the base. Cooper also discusses the
      famous 1957 UFO case at Edwards Air Force Base, where film was taken.
      Cooper spoke to the Pentagon and saw the negatives. Cooper nails the
      myth that he had a UFO sighting while in space, but there's plenty of
      other intriguing UFO material, together with accounts of his
      involvement with the channeller Valerie Ramsone, and his meeting with
      contactee Daniel Fry.

      Eye Spy

      In last month's column I alerted readers to a new magazine on defence
      and intelligence issues, which is being launched in May. I
      inadvertently gave the wrong website, as opposed to www.eyespymag.com
      which is the correct one. If it hasn't yet gone live, it very soon
      will, so add it to your favourites and stand by for some mind-blowing

      Life Out There

      On 16 March 2001 I attended the 2nd World Symposium on Space
      Exploration and Life in the Cosmos. This event was held in the
      Republic of San Marino, and concentrated on Search for
      Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) issues. The best known speaker
      was Professor Frank Drake from the SETI Institute, who updated the
      audience on the Institute's plans to expand the various initiatives
      currently underway. The long-term plan is to build a radio telescope
      dedicated to SETI, conducting an all-sky, all-frequency search. In the
      meantime, there will be a new facility coming on stream in 2005 at Hat
      Creek Observatory. There is also work going on to move into optical
      SETI, looking for laser bursts which a civilisation could use to
      transmit data (details on all this at www.seti.org). I had dinner with
      Professor Drake on a few occasions over the course of the conference,
      and learnt a lot about SETI and related issues. Although he's a firm
      believer in life out there (perhaps 10,000 civilisations in our own
      galaxy alone, according to the Drake Equation) he's not a believer in
      UFOs; he feels that the distances are too great and thinks that the
      consequent time, energy and money required for interstellar travel
      would be prohibitive. But if SETI does detect a signal from an
      extraterrestrial civilisation, Frank Drake will doubtless be a hero to
      ufologists as well as scientists, even if they disagree about the
      chances of any extraterrestrials actually paying us a visit.

      Stephen Hawking Comments on Alien Life

      Speaking in February at a charity fund-raising lecture for Newnham
      Croft Primary School in Cambridgeshire, cosmologist Stephen Hawking
      made these intriguing comments about extraterrestrial life: 'Assuming
      we don't destroy ourselves in the next one hundred years, I expect we
      will spread out, first to other planets in the solar system, and then
      to the nearby stars '. It won 't be like Star Trek or Babylon 5, with
      a new race of nearly human beings in almost every stellar system. As
      we explore the galaxy we may find primitive life, but not beings like
      us. Even if life develops in other stellar systems, the chances of
      catching it at a recognisably human stage are very small. It won't be
      a universe populated by many humanoid races with an advanced but
      essentially static science and technology. Instead, I think we will be
      on our own, but rapidly developing in biological and electronic
      complexity ' It could be that there's an advanced race out there
      that's aware of our existence, but it's leaving us to stew in our own
      primitive juices. A more reasonable explanation is that there's a very
      low probability either of life developing on a planet, or of that life
      developing intelligence'.

      Lord Lewin and Bentwaters

      Richard Hill's biography of the late Lord Lewin has been published by
      Cassell in hardback and costs �25. Entitled Lewin of Greenwich it's
      essential reading for those with an interest in modern naval warfare.
      Lewin saw active service in the Second World War and was Chief of the
      Defence Staff during the Falklands War, so there's much of interest
      here. There's a UFO connection, because Lord Lewin was Chief of the
      Defence Staff at the time of the Bentwaters incident. There's no
      mention of it, which could mean something or nothing, dependant upon
      your interpretation. But it is perhaps of interest that on his
      retirement, Lewin settled in the picturesque Suffolk village of
      Ufford, no more than a mile or so from the Bentwaters and Woodbridge
      bases, and the intervening Rendlesham Forest.

      Cottingley Fairies

      The pictures that fooled the world (or certainly Sir Arthur Conan
      Doyle) were sold on 13 March at auctioneers Bonhams and Brooks, for
      �6000 (the estimate had been �3000 - �4000). An unnamed private buyer
      purchased the glass plates and negatives of some of the pictures taken
      in 1917 at Cottingley Glen in Yorkshire, by cousins Elsie Wright and
      Frances Griffiths. The pictures were from the archive of theosophist
      Edward Gardner - the man who first alerted Conan Doyle to the case.
      Doyle later published an account in Strand Magazine, and the rest is
      history. It was not until the Eighties that the mystery was finally
      resolved: Elsie had drawn the fairies on cardboard, cutting around the
      edges of the figures and then propping them up with hatpins. Elsie
      said in 1986 'The joke was to last two hours. It has lasted seventy

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's four books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited,
      Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike are available
      from all good bookshops and from the usual Internet book sites. His UK
      publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while the paperbacks are produced by
      Dell Publishing.

      � Hot Gossip UK 2001

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book

        © Knight International 2003