Fwd = 'Meteorite' is only an electrical short circuit

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2001
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:35:13 +0100 (CET)

      'Meteorite' is only an electrical short circuit

      A meteorite thought to have crashed in Yorkshire is actually only an
      underground electrical fire, say reports.

      The one-metre-deep charred hole was left by nothing more than a short
      circuit, according to the York Evening Press.

      Dr Phil Manning, a geologist from the Yorkshire Museum, had initially
      been excited by the smouldering remains, but has now admitted his
      mistake.

      The [51]Evening Press says Dr Manning pulled burnt wire from the hole
      and revealed it was an electrical fire.

      He said: "Instead of a meteorite this was a meteor-wrong. The
      electricity people have seen this before, but I thought it looked like
      something had hit the ground, and the Army and police believed that as
      well.

      "It's not a total waste of time. I've learnt a lot at the end of the
      day, and I can write it up for other meteor hunters to watch out for."

      A dog walker has told how she first discovered the hole near York. She
      said she heard an explosion and a rush of air.

      When he first arrived at the scene, Dr Manning said: "You can see
      where it's come down and broken the branches of trees. Its about 25
      centimetres across and it goes down at least a metre. I'm looking
      forward to seeing what's at the bottom of it. If it is a meteorite -
      for this to happen in my lifetime ... it's very exciting.

      The Evening Press says residents in a nearby street were without
      electricity for two hours while the fault was corrected.

      Last updated: 19:57 Thursday 1st March 2001

      Copyright � 2001 Ananova Ltd